Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tool paths on solids

Go Navy

this is our very first solid and we finally have the drawing correct but now we can't figure out how to tool path it. I would like to use a .500 bullnose endmill to do the whole job. Could someone take a look at it and see if they can get me started. Please feel free to delete any current tool paths that are on the file. I will be using a 3 axis haas vf3 for this project. the file is in the mcx_files with the name navysolids.

ftp://www.ppcadcam.com/Mastercam_forum/MCX_Files/

thanks for all of the help

have fun

Al

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Usually when I machine on solids, I supress fillet radii. Solid chaining is a bit difficult to explain. I'd suggest reading the Help Section on Solid Chaining.

It is possible though. See NavySolid_James.mcx

I would use a variety of 2d and 3d programming for this part (use 2d on vertical walls ,create curves on edge and project to correct z depth ,make sure if you do 2d that your chaining arcs and line NOT SPLINES) do not work yourself into a corner (look ahead at the next operation so you know that you can hold the part to finish it) on 3d areas i would over extend the surfaces off the edges of the part so the tool runs off the part and does not leavem any EDGES. I don't program with soilds (i dont have the option) so i use surfaces for all 3d. I over extend everything I do 3d for tool run off. hope this helps , it kinda looks like you might have to build a fixture of some sort to complete the part unless you can hold on a small amount and take light cuts (depends on material ect)

Dave

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

A note about extending surfaces... Gap settings makes this unnecessary and you have more control over transitions as well. Go to Gap Settings on Finish Parameters page of your surface operation and I prefer "Smooth" on the motion, then give a value in the "Tangential Line length". If you want it to arc off in Z as well you set this in the angle, and the radius you want if any. I say let the software do it's job as opposed to creating extra stuff.

Check out NavySolid_James_Surface.mcx

JM2C

James I some what dis agree with what you have said I know that your gap setting trick will work on SOME parts but extend the motion will only seem to work in one diection ? I belive that in alot of cases you would have to create extended surfs just for roughing ...no ? I know that sometimes you can creat a flat plane for roughing or stop at a depth but for some parts you will want to extend. I just tried an example here and tried what you said ...it work but only extend the tool run off in the Y axis and not the x axis...am i missing something here ? Not tryin to argue with you just trying to pick your brain a bit.

Dave

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

No, you're right. You get the run off in 1 direction not both so in that situation you would need to extend in the opposite direction of the cut. But you could cut 45 Deg and it will extend in both for the most part. More code but less fiddling with extra stuff IMHO. biggrin.gif

quote:

...Not tryin to argue with you just trying to pick your brain a bit.

We all need to be picking each other's brains IMHO, I think we'd all get a lot better at what we do.

thanks James , I really think alot of all you guys thoughts here and always open to new ideas and new ways to do things. I will use your suggestion on some of my parts (or at least try it a bit more now) like you said if we listen to each other then we would get better at what we do. Learning is never over ....

Dave

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I think highly of anyone willing to share their knowledge as well. If nobody would have shared with me over the years I would certainly not be where I am today either.

I make a lot of custom moldings and would rather use solids than surfaces. Solids have nice square corners and are easy to create and select and run toolpaths on using ball nose cutters. I am still using 9.1 so I guess thats why I was not able to view the part in question since it was programed in X. Sometimes I will create parts using surfaces and than convert them to solds and use bolean to turn them into 1 part. Maybe there is something that I don't understand about why some people are having a difficult time using solids.