Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool wear: Carbide in aluminum

Tom Szelag

Hey guys. Haven't been around here in a while..

For those of you who run a lot of aluminum, I'm curious what kinda tool life you get out of solid carbide tools. I'm an engineering student and do assorted machining on a campus where the nicest machines are a Hurco VM1 and Fadal 3016L (hold your laughter for a moment). Most of the 'machinists' that run the shops have old HSS tools and refuse to push a half inch tool faster than 18ipm through aluminum.

Finally got some good tools here.. uncoated solid carbide, SGS and Data Flute stuff. Pushing 3/4" at about 6000rpm and 60-80ipm, which I feel is a good conservative start. I don't want to push too hard though for fear of burning these tools up. Money is TIGHT on the team I work for. So realistically, what kind of tool life can you expect milling aluminum at say 7000rpm and 90ipm?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...tool love you long time...

tongue.gif

LOL!!!

Yeah, as long as you don't chip the teeth, that tool will last a long time. Months easily, unless you're using it 8 hours a day 7 days a week, in which case you'd probably be looking at replacing it after a few weeks. The key is don't chip the teeth. Also, go with 3 flute. You get the strength and rigidity of a 4 flute but you get the chip evacuation of a 2 flute. Also, you want to make absolutely sure you keep that tool flooded with coolant. If you get aluminum gummed up on it, that will diminish life as well.

HTH

One good trick I do all the time is this:

When an endmill gets a little old it develops little dings/cracks on the flutes. The flute imperfections will result in lines around the profile cuts. Not to hard to sand off but why sand? I program depth cuts with a .015 fin cut on all profile cuts. This will cut once then step down .015 and cut again. many times it results in a cleaner cut.