Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Windows XP??

Barry

I'm wondering if there are any thoughts, comments, or experiences with XP. I am a big fan of Win2000, i guess XP is alot like it structurally. I can't see a reason to change from 2000 except to get the latest pizaz....which I really dont need. Or do I, are there any changes that might affect stability or performance..for real. Thanks for any input!

Barry

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the most part, Windows XP Pro (not Home) is essentially Windows 2000 SP3.

The kernel is the same. The main difference is the UI and a few added features (remote desktop, a light-weight firewall, slightly more compatibility with some older apps). If the budget allows it, upgrading to XP Pro would be a nice-to-have thing. If your budget doesn't allow for the upgrade, you don't have anything to lose sleep over. Hope this helps smile.gif

On my home computer (PIII 800 and 768MB RAM), I didn't notice any performace degredation from Windows 2000 to Windows XP. If anything, somethings are faster with XP like startup time, application launch times and a few other things. Lower-end systems will probably experience a performance hit. This is likely due to the new UI. This can be remedied by using the old interface instead and shutting down unncecessary services. And I wouldn't recommend XP for systems with less than 128MB RAM and maybe even 256MB. And finally, before you upgrade to XP, download Microsoft's Windows XP Advisor Tool to make sure your current hardware and software will get along with XP.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Windows 98 is not much of an OS IMHO. I have a PC for the kid's games with it and it's pretty unstable. If they didn't play games, you bet I'd be bumping them up to Windows 2000 Pro or XP.

My favourite Powertoys are:

1. Open Command Window Here

- comes in handy for those of us that trust certain tasks to the command-line

2. Alt-Tab Replacement

- this one comes in handy when you have multiple windows with the same title

3. Tweak UI

- an old favourite

- great way to tweak the UI to help out the older and slower computers

Version 5 at work (where I got the virus- twice) and version 6 at home. I used to be a big fan of Netscape until I needed multiple mails. I hear they added multiple mail but I'm getting handy at configuring OE for just about any situation. The one time I let Norton configure my mail for virus checking I no longer could do mail. It changed my pop and smtp servers to some strange ip address that simply did not work. Do you have a good way to keep viruses (viri?)away? frown.gif

Do you know we hijacked another thread?