Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Windows XP??

Barry

Use outlook instead of Outlook express,

It will not let you bring in an EXE type file.

Someone system kept trying to send that viruses to me for three days every hour straight.

But Norton Corp edition got it every time.

Before it could get to the network.

It caught it in my mail server as soon as it came in.

It just finally stop coming in.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Jay,

Actually, Outlook 2000 will let you recieve *.exe files as long as you do not install Service Pack 2 for Outlook. I had a problem with Service Pack 2 so I uninstalled Office 2000 Pro and re-installed the Base Package. See when I was an MC reseller, we got these nifty things from Mastercam and you bet they were *.exe files.

Figuring this out required a call to Microsoft which netted me a hold time of about 3-5 minutes MAX, and a talk with a knowledgeable Tech for a few minutes while I re-installed the product to make sure it was fixed.

Until somebody comes up with a VIABLE Operating system, that will run ALL of my Applications in a reliable manner, it's Microsoft for me.

JM2C

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

Jamman,

Good ol' OE 5.x; if an HTML e-mail message contained MIME info about an attachment that IE would normally have no idea how to handle (like a SCR), the attachment would automatically be executed. Norton AntiVirus, both the corporate and commerical versions, will catch that as long as the virus definitions are kept up-to-date. Companies like Symantec and McAfee should be happy that Microsoft helps keep them in business, thanks to the plentitude of Windows security vulnerabilities. Sorry James, I had to take some cheap shots at Microsoft; my bad biggrin.gif

Sorry james but my outlook office XP does not allow EXE in at all or even the *.SCR and others

With service packs and all.

So this does help.

And all so have the norton Corp catchs the virus before they go out while they are still in the Echange server.

Actully they made it harder in Office XP to turn it off so that you can receive *.EXE files.

thank god for my good ild FTP.

jay smile.gif

Uhhh... ok.

1. I do not have office XP.

2. I can't legally run outlook 2000.

3. Whatever norton did to my e-mail didn't work.

Soooooooooo..........

quote:

Good ol' OE 5.x

If I upgrade to 6.x (free and legal, two things I feel strongly about)will my problem "go away"?

Jay, if you want to be able to view EXEs and other file types that Microsoft has deemed unsafe, do the following:

1. Make sure that Outlook XP isn't running.

2. Run regedit

3 Check to see if the following key exists:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0OutlookSecurity

If it doesn't, then create it.

4. In this key, create a new string value called Level1Remove.

5.Modify the new string value's data to include the extensions you want to be able to see, like this, for example:

.exe;.src

6. Get out of regedit and reboot your computer.

Hope this helps smile.gif

quote:

If I upgrade to 6.x (free and legal, two things I feel strongly about)will my problem "go away"?

If you are already infected, no the problem won't go away. You'll have to use antivirus software of some kind to remove it. If you have the B variant of Badtrans, there's a removal tool available. Upgrading to IE6 will simply make it impossible for HTML e-mail to execute attachments via funky MIME declarations in the code.

quote:

The one time I let Norton configure my mail for virus checking I no longer could do mail. It changed my pop and smtp servers to some strange ip address that simply did not work.

Which version of NAV is it? NAV 2000 and 2001 create a "virtual" POP3 and SMTP server (usually something like norton.pop3/[your pop3 sever]). 2000 acidentally left the ports open, too eek.gif NAV 2002 doesn't visibly create "virtual" servers. It's normal for NAV to do this so once it does, don't try changing your server names once NAV is protecting your e-mail. Doing this=big troubles wink.gif

I'm here....just watchin everything...taking it all in..Dad always told me, "if you aint got nothin intelligent to say...shut up!" so up im shut just learning. Thank all of you for the huge response...do i get a member status bump up for creating a lengthy discussion?

This is a great BB

Barry

Ya know, I heard so much "stuff" about winme that I didn't like it without trying it. Recently I had a chance to play with it a while and it seems like it is win98sese. or win98te. (third edition)

I don't see any difference. I think I will replace my win98se disk with winme unless Bullines feels it is a bad idea. As I have been quoted before; IN BULLINES WE TRUST. BTW- I would never think about running Mastercam in WINME. After all, that is why we are all here anyway, isn't it?

Dude, I don't think you read the entire post. Allow me to explain..... I have win98se that I use on my 4 year old sons computer (5 in march)

and winME doesn't seem any worse. I don't have mastercam on my kids computer (a $15,000.00 toy?)

Both my MC boxes run win2kpro.

Jamman,

If the Windows 98SE computer is running fine, I'd leave it the way it is. Windows ME is not worth the upgrade. The UI is similar to Windows 2000's but, of course, it still uses that horrible kernel. Plus many users report stability problems with ME.

Think of it like this. The MS-DOS kernel is a Chevette. Windows 95 is a kickin' speaker system and CD changer. Windows 98 is those kewl neon running lights and jacked-up wheels. Windows 98SE is a fix for a fuse problem with the running lights and alignment problems with the wheels. Windows ME is fuzzy dice. But underneath it all, you still have a Chevette (no offense to Chevette owners wink.gif ).

So unless you really need the video editing software bundled with ME, I'd stick with 98SE. If you have money burning in your pocket, consider XP Home as long as it'll be a game machine only.

• 2 weeks later...
frown.gif I purchased WinXP Home Edition and am at present dual booting before plunging into a "Format" job... I loaded MC but XP says that it can't find the Sim... No problems in '98se loads and runs fine but, I am at a loss in XP, what am I missing here, I ran hinstall /i but it's still a nogo. Anybody got any ideas...? Sorry if this has been covered before...!