Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

multi line useless

PeterM

I am forwarding this complaint from our lathe programmer. The x version of mluti line seems to be essentially useless. I know from my own prior experience as a lathe programmer in earlier versions of mastercam that create-line-multi was by far the fastest way to create a profile. It was never as useful a tool in mill, so I haven't used it very much for years now, But I played with it a little and I have to agree with his acessment. Any comments or tips would be welcome. Peter

In ver 9 and prior, create line multi then start typing. The coordinates of your last entry were by default the start of your next line. Now I know that multi line in x is on the surface similar, however since it is so tied to the mouse, you end up with just a sketching tool. I tried using the spacebar to bypass the mouse, and it seemed very unnatural, (plus I locked up my function hitting Esc one time) The coordinate spaces are three axis fields even though you are only using two axies in D+Z so they are even worse than using the spacebar. Peter

I don't think YOU have really tried the multi line function, I did indeed engage the little multi line icon. You have to type in both values of the next leg of the target, or the leg that you didn't specify will go to where ever the cursor happens to be. This represents twice the effort. Peter

My point exactly! twice the typing. In earlier versions one might for example type in d0z0 ent d1. ent z-.25 ent d1.25 ent etc. etc. etc. But hey this is no big deal to me I'll just tell my lathe guy to get used to it. I'm curious what other lathe programmers think about this, perhaps it really is no big deal. Peter

Now I see what you mean. If, after you've entered the initial point, you just type in one dim, it doesn;t seem to operate corectly. From playin withit, if you give it a D the Z will stay static (like it should), but when you give it just a Z move it appears to treat the previous D value as an X value. It does look like it works right it the XZ plane. You might want to ask QC@Mastercam, that kinda looks like a bug.

quote:

My most humble apologies folks. I finally figured it out

Don't feel bad Peter. About half these X threads

could be summed up with

" doesn't work right in X"

"Yes it does, you're not doing right"

"No its broke, X suxs"

"Works fine"

" X suxs"

"Works fine"

"Oh I get it... cool stuff!!"

etc etc

Sometimes it really is broke and that's how bugs get found and killed smile.gif

From what I can tell, when only a Z value is entered in the Fast Point dialog the line will end up at the proper Z coordinate and double the D coordinate.

A multi-line starting at D0. Z0. going to D1. will create a vertical line to D1. Z0., then going to Z-1 will end up at D2.0 Z-1. in a Lathe Diameter C-Plane.

Is this what you are seeing as well?