Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tapping small sizes

I have a bunch of tiny holes to tap M1.1x0.2

Is rigid tapping something this small really viable? I do #0-80 all the time. This is about half the size of that.

I usually leave the #000-120 we do to be done by hand but there are just too many of these to do by hand, unless there is no other way.

Anyone aware of some type of light touch tapping holder, maybe something leke a finger chuck.

Good luck Good luck Good luck. I would use a floating holder or a self cneter type of holder. TIR needs to be .0001 or less on a tool like that and the feed needs to be very very precise thus use a floating holder to make up for any distance. Ream the hole or line bore it using a endmill. I would also look to a synethic oil for the tapping as well and yes form tap the hole would be a must in my opinion and yes you can form tap by hand I have done it for #10-32. Again good luck good luck good luck.

John,

tapped 1200 holes 0.9mm x .225 at 4mm deep this week. carbide spot, circuit board drl 4.25mm deep, roll tap rigid at 1500 rpm , feed per rev =.00885827 reverce out at 3000 rpm same feed. (machine is set to inches and will take 8 dec. places for rigid feed). you need that for small pitch taps. one spot, drl, and tap for all 1200 holes in 7075 alum. !!!!

35k chipper