Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

High speed scallop

smokey_44

Just testing a few of the high speed paths and run into a small problem ,I have a cavity to cut and want to use high speed scallop ,problem is I can't seem to get it to start at the top of the cavity and work down ,it always wants to start at the bottom and work up. I try a few things but no luck any ideas ? this is just a test so i'm not under the gun to get it done or anything. I have tried the options "other way" , approx start point , depth limits ...any ideas ?

Dave

quote:

I hardly ever use scallop

:SMACK: biggrin.gif

What do you mean you hardly ever use scallop? What do you do on surfaces that flow in all directions when parallel leaves a rough finish in certain areas? Not the old 135 degree parallel toolpath trick? biggrin.gif

It really does work nice. Try MC's original recipe scallop that will allow cutting from outside in. I think you might like it. wink.gif

Thad

Depends Thad on the shape of things , hmm hard to describe , for most of my surfaces (shallow verticals) I will use parallel 45 then followed by parallel steep 135 to pick up the opposite corners (adjusting the angle setting to get what I want) ,If I have a flat on top with vertical walls and flat on bottom I will use parallel on top (check surface everthing else)then into contour with the flats as check then follow by parallel at bottom (including rads) and check on the vertical,sounds like alot of work but I have standard paths that I use over and over. I have gotton excellent results using this method over the years.

Dave

I hope thats clear ,As you can see for my posts I am what you would say not good with words ...lol if ya want to see something I can maybe send you some files for you to look at.

P.s I hate using scallop because in my experiernce the path is WAY to long for cycle time compared to others (lots of points) I do everything I can to avoid it ,sometimes the shape demands it though

I understand your process perfectly. Actually, I'm fairly new to scallop. I was just giving you a hard time after you helped me out with my "Horizontal Area...now what" thread. We use it for most surfaces that flow in all directions except I don't like how it either climb cuts on flatter areas and convention cuts in more vertical areas, or vice versa. But that's the nature of the toolpath. Besides, by the time the die room is done benching it, we'll never recognize it again anyway. biggrin.gif

Yes, the cycle time *is* longer on a scallop. We've always thought the finish is worth it. I see that you have a process down to handle the finish and the run time as well. Maybe in our slow time (right now), we can fine tune some things to use the parallel/parallel steep option. I'd be interested in seeing some of your files. Thanks.

Thad