Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PICKING IT UP

NEWBEE

i have already check for zoning it's ok, i am have 220 put in my garge saturday and already have a 66 gallons air compressor from when i was a tech. i will never stop asking question, and maybe some day i will be able to give back what i have learned and pass it down to my kids, or my grand kids. this is going to be a hobby for now but who knows maybe it might turn into something i can only dreams of my of business and quit makeing someone elses pocket fat.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey c-hook, I hear ya on goobers overtightening things. We have a wrench on our lathe to tighten and loosen the quick change tool post, and we have cut the wrench down til it's just 6 inches long and some bonehead still tightens the dang thing til you have to put a cheater on a full size wrench to loosen it. I can't understand how so many people in the trade with "machining experience" have a lack of pratical application of mechanical advantage. The other day I caught an operator tightening the 3R pallet down with both hands on the T-handle allen wrench. If it wasn't against the law, he'd still have a hand print on the back of his head.

quote:

posted 04-08-2006 01:30 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey c-hook, I hear ya on goobers overtightening things. We have a wrench on our lathe to tighten and loosen the quick change tool post, and we have cut the wrench down til it's just 6 inches long and some bonehead still tightens the dang thing til you have to put a cheater on a full size wrench to loosen it. I can't understand how so many people in the trade with "machining experience" have a lack of pratical application of mechanical advantage. The other day I caught an operator tightening the 3R pallet down with both hands on the T-handle allen wrench. If it wasn't against the law, he'd still have a hand print on the back of his head.

It seems that understanding and learning how to machine on a cnc is a MUCH easier concept to learn for some people than understanding how little it takes to hold a tool in a holder. cuckoo.gif What can you do....Just don't lend em' your tools! I lent my edge finder to a "rookie" one time and when I got it back, the shank was elliptical instead of cylindrical. With a nice big set screw mark right on the side of it. bonk.gif

Crashing an edge finder is one thing, but smashing it with a set screw.....that doesn't even give you a chance to crash it cuz it's already toast. biggrin.gif I have never tried using the electronic style edge finders, I guess I am just old school or something cool.gif Same with my measuring tools, I don't feel comfortable with digitals or electronics, just dials or verniers.

Hey c-hook, I have a brother in Rio Rancho. Small world, huh.

Have you ever seen a novice put his indicol on the spindle and instead of typing in X0 or Y0, they hit spindle start. Talk about centrifugal force. Also the instantaneous stop against the inner wall of the vhc didn't help it none either. The same guy tried to hold down a considerable size chunk of H-13 against an angle plate with a pair of 6" Kant-twist clamps and then plunged a 4" face mill down into the top with the hand wheel instead of across the the top of the block. He twisted both clamps and threw the block through the removable front loading guard. I still laugh when I walk by our mori-seki. We have the clamps hanging there with a sign saying "Kant-twist..... Wanna bet"

quote:

Have you ever seen a novice put his indicol on the spindle and instead of typing in X0 or Y0, they hit spindle start. Talk about centrifugal force. Also the instantaneous stop against the inner wall of the vhc didn't help it none either.

I don't know how many times I have seen that happen, ahem.....my self included frown.gif . I saw a guy fling his brand new mituitoyo test indicator about 50 ft across the shop, he only had it 5 minutes. I don't think it was shock resistant.

priden

I had a .0005 interapid for 20 years. One day I put it in the spindle to pick up the part and because it was Monday, or my period, or who knows what, I hit spindle start....I've never seen an indicator leave the earth so fast.

You know the rest...

I tried to get the shop to buy me a new one, and I think you know how that turned out.