Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PICKING IT UP

NEWBEE

National Tool and Machining Assoc. I would recomend do the shop courses THEN think about buying a machine. You can do it, but there is a lot to learn. that way you can hit the ground running, I am a toolmaker and started shop without ever even touchin a CNC, am learnin that aspect as I go.(wish I had taken 1 cnc course, and then bought mastercam,.. and learned it... then the machines $$$$$ not so much PRESSURE (am yelling) that way

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately get some schooling. Learning MC will probably be the easy part. You have to learn about things you probably never thought about if you want to own your own shop....like inserts, cutting tool manufacturers, end mills, holders, coolants, boring systems, machine maintenance, etc. I'm sure you'd rather learn a few lessons by breaking the $200 carbide end mill at school, instead of breaking the ones that you bought yourself. wink.gif

We're here to help. cheers.gif

Thad

quote:

i will continue to stop by mybe you guys can help me out in future. when i get stuck or need help if thats ok

imho, there is an amazing amount of collective experience and a lot of helpful people on this forum. a very nice way to help navigate the school of hard knocks (in which i happen to be enrolled). welcome newbee.

cheers.gif

I think before newbee learns MCX, he needs to learn machining. If I read correctly in the begining of this thread, he has NO machining backround. He does not know speeds and feeds, what a drill sounds like when its dull or if an endmill needs sharpening. These are skills he should be working on first, imho.

I don't see any harm in learning the MC interface and how things work while he's learning about machining. Why wait until he learns one before starting to learn the other? Neither should be done, as a business, until he has an understanding of both. smile.gif

Thad

quote:

MC is hard enough from the beginning without learning the fundamentals of machining at the same time.

By at the same time I meant that he takes machining classes at night (since he's a finance manager during the day), and when he's not in class or at work (or doing his homework) and has some spare time, there's no reason he can't mess around with some tutorials, figuring out the tricks/quirks of MC. The REAL Mastercam learning won't start until he knows something about machining and has to apply it.

I think we're on the same page though. wink.gif

Thad

Newbee,

I am new to this forum but not new to machining or MC. I believe that the people in this forum are grossly understating the value of knowing machining practice before knowing practical programming. Firstly, the Hurco VM1 IMHO would not need MC to blacksmith out the parts that someone with (what really sounds like) no mechanical experience at all, would attempt. Newbee, you make a good choice on a first machine to experiement on, but you have a very long road ahead. Just to note, I have NEVER met a good programmer that was not a bonafide machininst (not operator). I think those two terms have become too entwined. Has someone that has hired (and fired) folks from the vocational classes, take my advice, that knowledge is very limited. When you know what a dull end mill or drill sounds like (like someone else mentioned) then start with MC. When the very people that do this for a living hold their trade with such regard that "a few classes at night" equates to the experience that a First Class Machinist has, it is no wonder why manufacturing in America is destined for outsourcing.

Shane Waid

Manufacturing Supervisor

Alu-Cut International / RST Manufacturing

www.alu-cut.com

(--Every thought expressed is my own and no way associated with Alu-Cut Int., RST Mfg., V12, or Dry-Lube in any way.--_

quote:

When the very people that do this for a living hold their trade with such regard that "a few classes at night" equates to the experience that a First Class Machinist has, it is no wonder why manufacturing in America is destined for outsourcing.

:popcorn:

Thad

Hey Shane,

The guy ain't looking to make a nuclear missile; I think that a few classes at night would be a good start...

quote:

it is no wonder why manufacturing in America is destined for outsourcing

That's right, and I'm gonna keep milkin' my $70K a year until that 8 year old Chinese boy with his leg chained to the machine takes the work away...

You can begin to experiment with Mastercam if you read a couple of books on machining, just to get some of the basic ideas. (Been there, done that.) Without at least some of this basic knowledge, none of the settings will make sense and even if you get the software to do something cool, you won't know what it's really doing.

After you do the reading, I would suggest creating very simple parts (even just a rectangle with a couple of holes in it). Then use the default mill to try out some simple contour toolpaths.

The deeper you get into Mastercam, though, the more you need to know about machining. There are tons of settings that only a machinist knows what to do with.

I have put together a mini-tutorial for absolute beginners that I'd be glad to share. However, this document is NOT IN ANY WAY AN OFFICIAL CNC SOFTWARE DOCUMENT. It's just a formalization of some of the notes I took as I was learning to use Mastercam. If you'd like to look at it, just send me your email address.

--Clay

Welcome to the Forum ,Newbie ! cheers.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mexitaljew, I am a finance manager for an rv dealership

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

STAY AWAY FROM MACHINInG ,OR you`ll become crazy machinist ,change your work ,will spent all the day long at work ,your wife will leave you for some other finance manager .

You `ll dream your work at night ,all your friends will brake with you cause you will talk only about machining ,tools ,Mastercam and CNC .

And you`ll be happy .

This is a trap ,you will never get out of it to become normal Finance manager once more .

quote:

When the very people that do this for a living hold their trade with such regard that "a few classes at night" equates to the experience that a First Class Machinist has, it is no wonder why manufacturing in America is destined for outsourcing.

I don't think any of us think that...just he does not have to spend his whole life doing this before he starts making select repeat parts in his garage, especially if he has some $$$$ wink.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Craftmanship comes with experience ,and experience

is a time factor

Take note that it`s kinda hobby for him ,so why not

to try .

He will discover the dull truce fast enough .

You need a huge practical base to mill complex parts .

Not a bad hobby ,anyway .

Newbie ,just be cautious to preserve intact all your fingers ,eyes ,head and ribbs .

Teh humble advisor