Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PICKING IT UP

NEWBEE

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Have you ever seen a novice put his indicol on the spindle and instead of typing in X0 or Y0, they hit spindle start. Talk about centrifugal force. Also the instantaneous stop against the inner wall of the vhc didn't help it none either.

I had this happen to me last year we go this new machine and I got in the lazy habit of unlocking M19 by starting the spindle at 100 then cancelling it. well the new machine engages the last speed rotates it for a sec before it shifts the gears to the new rpm and the old rpm was 9000 and all ya hear is a bang then a @%$#^&&^ banghead.gif

My brother -in -law is CNC programmer too .

This is my influence .

He is a good programmer an dnever before was even close to CNC .

His carrier rather fast and he works only for 3 years now .

Yet he has general machining knowledge .

All is possible ,if you are hard-working

My 2 cents:

Shop experience beats theory.

MCX default settings not necessarily the right ones.

Learn some tooling geomery and their applications.

And if you decide to jump right in buy a machine buy mitsubishi's line of indexable tooling (not a sales pitch) they have unconditional damage replacement warranty. smile.gif

"Be careful" as 2 finger jones says. frown.gif

Ask these guys questions cuz they know more than all the school and shops combined because thats practically what they are.

Last have fun Cuz it is! Well most of the time. smile.gif

Hey Haas_guy, nope but I was manually making a fixture at a bridgeport knee mill when a guy lost his index finger to a 1" endmill. There was no mercy and no forgiveness from the endmill. His finger slipped between the shaft he was working on and the endmill that he inadvertantly didn't shut-off before measuring the shaft and it pulled it through and chopped it up. It was nasty. He didn't even yell. Reached up, turned the machine off and asked the foreman to take him to the Hospital. I get the jitters everytime I use a kneemill now. Just have to collect myself and think before acting and I can still count to 11 on my fingers. lol

I saw a guy get his sleeve caught up in a 6" diameter facemill while he was planeing some 2" thick A-36. The guy was deaf, so he couldn't really yell for help. By the time anyone saw him, he had already re-surfaced his entire forearm,(OUCH!!!!!) Every time I think about that it makes the hair on my arm stand up. Unfortunately, those are the kind of things you have to see to really respect how dangerous a machine can really be. Not only did it teach him a lesson, but every one else in the shop was affected by it also. curse.gif

I get the hebe jebes thinking about priden's finger story. After 30 years I have alot to be thankful for. Mostly not seriously hurting myself. We work around high speed machinery every day and you never know. I have had some close one's. But they make you think and be extremly carefull for a while after that.

(Now watch...tomorrow I'll lose a finger)

Hey guys, leave NEWBEE alone, hs is actually trying to get some WORK done, while the rest of us just BS (haha), Which brings me to my next point, do we all actually get real work done when we spend sooo much time griping and spreading our vast knowledge around on the forum firebounce.gif I know it is a juggling act for me >work<>forum<>work<>forum< it never ends. banghead.gif

Haas_guy

That reminded me of a guy that used to work here.

Im not saying that is how you are, but we have a room seperate from the shop that we do all of our programming. Every once in a while I would go in there to use a computer and notice they were being used, so about an hour later I go in there again and one of the guys in there is in the exact same position staring at the exact same drawing, so I walked over there to see what the deal was and the dude was fast asleep (snoring). He was caught doing this on several occasions (even by the owner). It didn't seem to bother him too much (getting caught), but needless to say, he didn't last very long.

We had a maintenance guy who worked part time at Burger King. (probably for the free food) He looked like he was about 12 months pregnant. Anyways, every damn morning, he would go into the office area bathroom and lock the door and be in there for two hours. Undoubtably sleeping. We used to think someone just really had the crapps, but we started taking turns keeping an eye out until we caught him going in and timed him. Every night he worked, the next morning he was in the bathroom for a couple of hours.