Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PICKING IT UP

NEWBEE

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though... IMO, you need machine backgroundor @ least some knowledge of it in order to operate a CAM system. If using mastercam for CAD it wouldn't be important (IMO), but there is CAM @ the end of Mastercam for a reason.

You should take some kind of a course at your local community college or technical school to give you some basic understanding of machining practices. There really is a lot to learn. How much knowledge do you really have? For example, do you know the difference between climb & conventional milling?

Mexitaljew, I am a finance manager for an rv dealership. i have a backgroung in computers and mechical. I am thinking a buying a hurco VM1 cnc machine for my garge for a part time business and i am looking for a program to use. thats all

You should probably check out the local community colleges for classes. A lot of them have some pretty good programs. Starting a machining business with no machining or programming experience could be a pretty rough road.

quote:

HOW EASY IS IT TO LEARN MASTER CAM WITH NO MACHINE BACK GROUND

I agree that some kind machining knowledge is necessary to fully understand the capabilities of mastercam or any other cam for that matter. Just being able to draw in Mastercam is one thing, but to apply a practial machining scenerio to the matter definitley requires knowlege of at least basic machining practices. I would say that not having a machining background would make learning Mastercam somewhat difficult, even with books to read, just keep in mind that machining is a highly hands on skill to learn, a book will not teach you everything. But through trial and error, one can usually achieve good results.

thanks for the info guys. everyone has to start somewhere. i think everybody in here was a beginner at one time. i am glad to see that there is a place to go for help. i will continue to stop by mybe you guys can help me out in future. when i get stuck or need help if thats ok

thanks the newbee

quote:

I am thinking a buying a hurco VM1 cnc machine for my garge for a part time business and I am looking for a program to use. thats all

Put a Smoke Detector in your Garage!

Right Jer? !

Hurco will train you and have excellent manuals.

The common sense stuff like how much metal to remove and with what is what you are missing.

Newbee-

Mastercam Is Very User Friendly. I Worked With Very Intelligent Individuals, That Have Never Worked Hands On In A Machine Shop That Have Made A Sucessfull Career Out Of Programming. I Have Also Seen Many That Have Worked Years In A Machine Shop And Can't Find The File/Open Icon. You Seem Some What Resourcefull, And I Think You Will Do Just Find. Books, A Class Etc.

Good Luck!