Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

eject pin dia for die cas mold

HEAVY METAL

It depends what plat it is in, if the hole is in the ejecter plate or a support plate then clearance is fine but if the hole is reamed in an A or B plate then you want the pin to fit nice and tight that is why i suggested possible being a 8mm pin cause it is .3149 and normally pin are .0002 to .0005 undersize so that would give you a nice fit

Ejector pins come .0005 to .001 under nominal size depending upon the supplier.

It seems to me the a .314 hole would flash .0025.

In a short period of time this pin will seize as diecast metals tends to flash easy because of the high ejection pressure.

Maybe a 8mm pin will be correct. Better call the molder to clarify this as it could lead to using over-sized pins to correct the sloppy fit. As it is already hardened s-7 or h-13 you will have to wire edm the holes +.005. And the nitemare begins.....

Hope this saves you $$$$ and stress!!

Moldy

Back when I was building Diecast molds we would always make the EX holes with .005 clearance.

We had a Honeing machine for lapping out the holes out to size if we didn't have a reamer.

Alu is shot in around 1400 degrees and the ex pins will swell up some.

Plus as someone stated it would also vent.

4 inches deep?, I would if possibal ream from the back side of cavity block, less chance of bell mouthing at cavity area and I would only have 3.5 times the dia. of actual bearing dia. on the pin and relieve cavity block .015. you can ream small and lap out with a barrel lap in drill press or with hand drill just do it from the bottom, it would be better. they might be venting on that pin. Been a while but aren't die cast dies vented around .006 inches??? not like plastic molds vents of .0005 to .001 (lap after heat treat)

Also. ex pins with 4" of bearing would be relief drilled from the back to where they only have about a 1" land...that goes for plastic or die cast...

Depends on the material Kev, pure nylon flashes around .0005 and ABS flashes around .003....

I forget headscratch.gif how much polyproplene and polystyrene are, somewhere in between I think.

It's been 25 years since I built molds....lol...

Heavy,

5/16 ejector pin measures .312 so I drill and ream .313 before heat treat. 3/4" of bearing surface is common, with the rest of the hole relief drilled 1/32 over. I have seen it before but it is rare that customer wants .002 over pin size. Aluminum flashes at .003. I agree with Kevangle, 4" not too deep. I would go from BS also.

----------------------

Wire 8.1.1