Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Building new tool library

SLJ

OK guys(and gals), I'm kind of confused here, nothing new. I'm going to build a tool library for a specific machine, and keep standardized tools and their tool # in it. I've always used the provided libraries that come with MC, just add tools as needed, but now we want to put certain tools in the chain and leave them there. I've searched here and in the help section, but what I'm finding talks about importing tools from one library to another, not building from scratch. I know many of you have specific libraries you use with specific machines, so was wondering how you went about it. Got to be some tricks to make it easy here. MCX, Mill level 3, solids.

Thanks, Steve

I just copy an existing library, rename.

Delete and or change everything I want from that point.

Good luck maintaining tool numbers if you have more tools than you do tool pots though.

Open a new session of X

Go to the tool manager

Pick the thrid icon in the middle of the page

"Select file for tool import" is the popup

Navigate to an old X file that's got some of the tools you want.

Done..

Your library is started. Rename it and move it

to the folder you want to store it in.

Thanks guys. What I'm thinking of trying is to have about 20 standard tools in the machine specific library, and call up individual tools as needed from the MC provided library without saving them in the machine specific library. Hope that makes sense. The machine has a 32 tool chain, so I would have 12 extras for various drills, odd end mills, ect. for that particular job. We run a lot of short run jobs, and I'm trying to keep the more common tools set up, while leaving room for part specific tools.

We have a standard library for electrode milling that has 10 standard tools and spots for 2 non-standard tools.

To set the library up from scratch, I would just start toolpathing. Create a new tool or get one from another library, and when you are done defining it, click on save to library and save it to your new library. Repeat this for all your tooling as you go, and soon the library will be done. This seems to work well in version 9 and 10.

• 2 months later...

quote:

I wonder if there are any libraries made for these

Wouldn't make any difference even if there was.

You can only use the one tool holder definition at this time, unless you use the HS machining toolpaths.

[ 07-24-2006, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: John Paris @ Kevlin Microwave ]

yup

The new HS package that came available with MR1, I believe, maybe MR2. It's all so hazy to me now

wink.gif

THere is holder definition and checking available, CAT libraries included.