Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc 0m/0t

What should I put in these fields (Mastercam Editor- Machine Configuration - port ) and (mastercam X editor - machine configuration - send) so that mastercam can commincate with a fanuc 0m/0t. When I got to send the file it acts like it sends but the fanuc machine blinks LSK and doesn't start the input, but I can tell that mastercam and the machine are commincating just wrongly.

Guest SAIPEM

quote:

What should I put in these fields (Mastercam Editor- Machine Configuration - port ) and (mastercam X editor - machine configuration - send) so that mastercam can commincate with a fanuc 0m/0t. When I got to send the file it acts like it sends but the fanuc machine blinks LSK and doesn't start the input, but I can tell that mastercam and the machine are commincating just wrongly.

LSK blinking means that the machine is waiting for data.

If it is flashing INPUT then it is receiving data.

Try these settings.

Data Bits = 7

Stop Bits = 2

Parity = Even

Flow Control = Software

If you are using a standard Null-Modem wiring then do NOT use 'Hardware' or 'Hardware and Software' as the Flow Control.

Consult the pin-out diagram in the file 'Mazak_RS-232.pdf' located at ftp://www.ppcadcam.com/Mastercam_forum/Te...t_files_&_misc/

The pinout is the same as used for a Fanuc.

(Ignore the Mazak RS-232 Settings)

Start with the lowest Baud rate and increase.

Monitor what happens at the machine.

4800 is the standard default but you'll need to check parameters to be sure.

I know it sounds dumb, but check to make sure the Program Protect switch is off. If it is on, the machine will not receive programs. We were trying to send a program to one of our lathes, and nothing was working. We were just about to call somebody in when we realized that the program protect key was switched to 'on'. When the guy was wiping off his control, he accidentally turned the key.

when I use the default settings for a Fanuc 16T I get an error message on the fanuc that says error 086 ("when entering data in the memory by using reader/puncher inteface, the ready singal (DR) of reader/puncher was turned off.") and unless I check (wait for Xon) in mastercam it goes through as if it was sending, but doesnt' send to anything.

nope program protect is off, I still wouldnt' be suprised if it was something stupid. This worked on my old editor on the old computer that was hooked up with the same serial DB9-DB25, so I know it's not the cable, I am trying slower baud rates now. SAIPEM, I tried going to that link, but it asks for a password and username.

yah I am trying to match it with smartCAM's communication software as best I can and I have serial port settings exactly the same so I know its not that. as far as flow control, the old machine had XON/XOFF, mastercam doestn' have that option so I selected software. And I tried setting some of the send transmission keys the same ASCII character. there is a couple options in the smartcam that istn' present in mastercam or that is and I don't knwo it or it is called somethign else. For example the option machine start is selected in smartcam adn error checking is not, human-readable character switch etc.

I called support and told them the issue, they said they would call me back, but I still haven't heard anything, thanks for the help anyways guys, I guess its just one of those things.

hmm, still not working, just keeps blinking LSK. Under advanced port settings do you have DTR or RTS checked? Also what order do you send the data. Do you click send on the transfer status box that appears when clicking send on the editor and then selecting input on the machine? Or do you click input on the machine first.

Also on your transfer status window what is checkmarked and what is not and do you have a green circle that says "error" next to it under the "control lines" heading.

Guest SAIPEM

Check the DTR(Data Terminal Ready) and RTS (Request To Send) options.

You'll need to press INPUT on the machine first without a hardware handshake.

I thought DTR & RTS greyed out when you use software flow control. I'll have to check tomorrow at work.

quote:

Also what order do you send the data. Do you click send on the transfer status box that appears when clicking send on the editor and then selecting input on the machine? Or do you click input on the machine first.

You can do it either way.

If you set the machine to recieve first make sure Wait for XON is unchecked. If you set the PC first then check Wait for XON and when you hit input (or is it read or exec) on the control it should start to pull the program.

I think what I might try after going through all this is to check the port status in the device manager. There is a chance that it is conflicting with something else. If there is nothing that jumps out at you (a yellow icon next the port indicating a conflict) then I would try deleting the port in the windows device manager, reboot the computer and let the computer re-install the port for you.

I've had issues similar to this in the past on one of my older laptops and if I remember right this is one thing I tried that sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.

Keep in mind though, I'm a machininst, NOT an IT guy. Just sharing my past experience.

I'm working on the same issue today as a matter of fact, setting up an Ot. I can send and receive in Cimco Edit just fine (version 9 stuff) and Predator stand alone, however X communications package does NOT want to work with this machine. Works with Haas' and Mori's just fine (18i), however with this Ot, I keep getting error 86 also.

Fanuc guy was here all day, and we pretty much have the problem traced to the X communications package! I'll keep you posted as to tomorrows progress. mad.gif