Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Solids & programming

Michael Reynolds

Here's an interesting tid bit. First, I'm a college instructor, not an mcam dealer.

Anyway, one of our local (aircraft) businesses was checking out cam softwares, as they're looking to upgrade. They now use camix and pro e's cam package. They also use ProE for modeling. Anyway, I always offer my service (free, of course) to them in case they have any questions or want to test mcam. Sooo, they came over with a pretty involved (e size) print, wanting check out how long it would take to model AND machine the part.

I spent 4 hours with them modeling, toolpathing, and explaining things to them. Thier comment...

It took LESS TIME to model the part in Mcam than it did in ProE!!! Guess what else? It took HALF the time to program it in mcam than it did with either of thier present cam packages!!

I really liked that!! It also clinched the deal, and now they are GOING to purchase 5 seats of mcam level 3 w/solids!!

I love my job!!!!!!!

Mike R.

I can believe that.......any solid is a disaster i

think to create in (un)PRO E with that kernel

they use....and now they`re tryin to sell it to

other companies like Parasolid does.....good luck,

they`re toolpathing procedures are a real gem too

.....just my opinion though from playing with

2000i2.....i doubt 2002 is any better

I am very familiar with Pro-e's manufacturing package and it is a very powerful tool. But, I think in 95% of the machining industry it is overkill. I thought drawing in Pro-e wasn't to bad but once you throw the manufacturing side in with it, it is very overwelming! Especially when you go to Chicago for the 5 day training session and try to learn the design side and the manuf. side at the same time. What a headache. frown.gif I think Pro-e is very good for design and assemblies. Not toolpathing. I think Solidwork is very user friendly and am impressed with their photoworks add-on.(it actually lets you see your assembly in motion while having the assembly cut in half) Mastercam is one of the easiest to work with cam tools on the market and you can do alot with it. So, I chose Mastercam for the long run. smile.gifsmile.gif

I signed up for a Pro E class at the local college last summer. It made me feel like a moron.

I've been using CAD/CAM for 15 years and Pro E KICKED MY BUTT!

I dropped the classes and took a SolidWorks class

instead.

I bought a copy of SolidWorks about 2 weeks later

I think a CAD/CAM package with a SolidWorks drawing interface and Mastercam's machining stuff would be unbeatable.

Our company is broken up into different divisions .. We have a full Machine shop in one and we are a 3 man model shop in another.. we use Mastercam.. then they decided to upgrade and because we already all have Pro-e they decided to use their cam package.. There have been a few times where time-studies or things have been defaulted to us simply because mastercam is a much easier to use package than their pro-nc .Or they simply either could not or did not know how to do the job in pro-nc ..

Mike,

Great Job biggrin.gif If only there were more like you in our area we'd be selling Mastercam hand over fist. Of course, I'm not a salesman myself. I'm just a "Techie". My boss would really appreciate help like that though. You did mention that they would need Training right? wink.gif

Potter,

Why bother with IGES? In Mcam V9 there will be an available Pro-E translator direct to Mcam. There's one available now but it's from a different 3rd party company. Trade in the Pro-E for Solids in Mcam and they'd be all set. They could probably get a couple of seats of Mcam with Solids for the price they paid for the Pro-E. Oh, well. I guess it's not your concern anymore, huh. biggrin.gif

KMaynard,

Shame on them. frown.gif Going with a product like Pro-Man. Did you mention they could have saved a bundle on a couple of seats of Mcam with Solids and a Pro-E translator? Have them give your dealer a call before they leap. wink.gifbiggrin.gif