Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotate a part to the z plane

stevieboy

Here's a step by step:

The part comes in with the TOP like this, and I want this solids face to be my new top:

oldtop.png

So, I go to the Planes pull-up and use a solid face to define my new view:

setview.png

Then I pick the axis orientation that I want:

selectaxis.png

Once selected, I name the new view:

namenewview.png

Then I go tp the view manager and set this view as my current WCS:

SetcurrentWCS.png

Exit view manager, go to g-view TOP, voila! My new Top:

newtop.png

quote:

I was looking to move the part to the origin, flat on the z plane.

Xform-Translate-Between points. Click the big "1" in the translate dialog box (assuming you're using X) to select where on your part to call X0Y0Z0, then select the origin. You may have to Xform-Rotate too, depending on how your part comes in originally. 3D construction plane is probably required.

Thad

I'm going to ask this here since wcs is being discussed. In 9, when I set wcs to some random geometry, all planes were relative to the wcs. Say once i set the wcs, if i was in iso view and want to draw something in front plane, I could just set cplane front and a z depth and everything was fine.

In X, I set a wcs, and top cplane is the top of the new wcs. but if i'm in iso view, and select cplane front, it wants me to create a new view. Maybe i'm being anal, but I don't want to create all the standard views relative to the wcs just to create some quick geometry. I have found that if I go to front view, I can say cplane=gview and not have to create a view.

Is this just the way it is, or am I missing something. Do I have to create views relative to my new wcs to work on standard planes?

I have been working on X for quite some time now, but just been working around this and figured it is time I come to grips with this and start creating lots of new views every time I want to draw construction geo, or ask and see if I'm missing something.

Ok, I knew all that, but thats where the "being anal" part came in, I didn't like my files cluttered up with all those views for geometry creation if I didn't have too. Once the tool hits the floor, the guys are creating more views for positioning and tool planes etc, so unless I take the time to name views it can start to get confusing in a month or so when changes come in and we revisit the file.

Thanks for the help Thad

the method I use to get parts out of plane coordinates when importing from catia is this..

like thad said..Xform-Translate-Between points-then pick "entities", click two lines from the parts plane origin, destination- "origin", from- instersection of the two lines, to- "origin".

You'll want to be in "3d" mode when doing this to get x,y,and Z to your origin. otherwise you'll have to Xform-Translate-Between points again, but still have to be in "3d".

If you don't want to use the wcs then this is the lengthy and somewhat confusing process to go through.

Yeah, in the past I have always repositoned the part to where I want to start, but we do prototype parts and we get new geo in all the time during our tool builds and changes after the parts are tested, and it has become a lot easier to leave part in car position for merging in new data, etc. WCS is great, I couldn't work without it any more, but I kind of liked the way it worked in 9 better than X, but realize we are moving on and will have to adjust to new stuff.