Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WCS

Reverend Turk

I just ordered some of the books from In House Solutions and I was wondering if thy would help me to understand the WCS better. It is something that I don't use because I just don't get it!!!! Although I am beginning to see that I am going to have to learn the proper way to use it! Anyone else ever used these manuals??

Have you gone over Hardmills tutorial? Plus if you do a search there is a WCS file that Jay(CADCAM) has pointed out several times, I forget the name of it.

All good information.

Think of it as set a new X Y and Z locations, for example if you have a 2d part one that needs machining on front and back or top and bottom, however you want to look at it. when you start you will probably position the part so the orgin is in the corner of the rough stock. but when you flip the part to finish it you may not be able to use that same point to locate off of. As in mulitpart applications its nice to have a orgin hole in say a fixture. So heres what i do on a new level draw 2 lines one for X and one for Y on the part where you would like the XYZ orgin to be on the 2nd side or OP. Open your WCS and select the Geometry tab on the left and then select the 2 lines you have created for your new orgin point. The first line you select will be the X axis and the second being the Y. It will display this for you and if dont display the axis like youd like them click the left and right arrows and it will flip the axes around and around, then click ok. I believe after you click OK you will then have the option to label the new XYZ location and this will show up in your WCS when you open it. Go to an isometric view and see if the part is sitting in the position and view you would like. Other then that the prgramming is the same, OH and i would create another Toolpath group for the new WCS and toolpaths your about to create. Helps keep things seperate, clean and organized.

I use to create a whole new program for every time i had to flip a part but after i got WCS's figured out life is much more simple ande efficent.

Now if i could just figure out this 5 axis stuff, well off to school i go for that.

Hope this helped,

ViperCNC-Ryan