Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D Dimensions

Chipps

Chipps, Are you trying to create GDT in 3d space? Not sure if you can do that. You can dimension in 3d space. I would do it by setting your cplane to the respective view first.I've seen this before coming from Catia models. It's called FDT. It's suppose to help eliminate the need for paper drawings by consolidating all the dimensions into 3d space. I think it's a pain in the neck. As the programmer/planner I wind up having to create 2d drawings anyway so QC and the shop can interpret the drawing and manufacturing requirements.

You might be better off with a table. The drawing would be messy, at best, and really hard to follow. If the diameters don't need a particular orientation about the axis, the table would be as follows:

X Y Z U V W R

Where X,Y,Z is the point, U, V, W is another point on the circle axis, OR the circle axis direction vector, and R is the circle radius.

If only a few dims need to do, you can do them as somebody told above by setting Cplane respectively; if a lot of dims need to do, it will get a messy to dim them in 3D, I would do a solid layout and then dimesion them in 2D.

HTH

Thanks for your help. I see it can be sort of done but very time consuming. Anyone know of a cad that you can do 3D dimensions with ease it maybe a worth it to us because they want this as an on going thing. Then we could import the model dimension it. Just basic dimensions in 3D of molded components rather than 2D.

I think you could do it in V9 without too much effort. Like I mentioned before if you set the respective construction planes and and Z depths you can put dimensions where ever you want. The model below was done in V9.

imsicap-2.gif

The model in my previous reply was created in Catia V4.2 which is not cheap by any stretch. V5 for windows is cheaper but not sure if you can get just the stand alone drafting package with the FDT option.HTH!

• 4 months later...