Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Circle Mill?

I differ on that opinion Don. I use entitites mostly to define my circle toolpaths, which means the diamter is defined, I don't want the option of being able to change my geoemtry definition by simply keying in a different value.

A large prescription for trouble me thinks.

In this case circle mill would only mill the thru hole because the point was ascoc. to that, even picking mask to an arc would go back to that point. I had to move the point to a different level, create a new point, then pick that point and put in the diameter. This seems a bit much for such a simple toolpath.

Mark,

A lot of your programming is on solids, correct?

Why would you not use the edge of the holes to define your circle mills/helix bores?

I suppose that's the part I don't get, I like to use the geometry I have.

Time permiting I'm trying to model avarything in solids, but the majority is still a wireframe.

With circle mil and helix I'd like to have this option of adjusting/seeing my dia in parameters page.

Most people do geo to nominal sizes most of a time, but often times there is a need for going over/undersize on certain features permiting for plating, heat treating, grinding stock, slip/press fit ....

It's just more convenient imho.

CNC could compromise and have it blanked when picking many entities with different dia, but have it unblanked when entities are uniform as far as dia is concerned.

Should be fairly easy to do for their developers wink.gif

cheers.gif

quote:

Not my fault you're both wrong

+1

I use this path many times a day and it is perfect just like it is for what I do. I interpolate all of my reamed holes before reaming them to provide good location and I can cut them all at once with one path. I just copy the geo from the drill cycles, never have to pick a point or a give a diameter it doesn't get much more automatic than that.

John, Midwest, beej and Terry...

By the same token when you pick several chains for contour at different depths (off of a solid or wireframe) the toolpath doesn't pick depth of this geo and stick it under a depth in toolpath parameters page and blanking it at the same time...

I feel like it's a lost battle, but... wink.gif

Showing the diameter that has been picked might be a decent thing but if using a solid or wireframe AND the being able to alter the size, I just cannot see how that is a good idea.

You can control stock on/off with the XY dialog boxes.

Either way

cheers.gif Mark

quote:

By the same token when you pick several chains for contour at different depths (off of a solid or wireframe) the toolpath doesn't pick depth of this geo and stick it under a depth in toolpath parameters page and blanking it at the same time...

If they have different depths you'll be using inc. instead of abs. for your depths. They are all tied together in one operation, if you want them all .010 deeper you input -.010 as an inc. value. You can also change the dia of all in the operation using the stock option or by using cutter comp.

hopefully I'm understanding what you are wanting........if not....oh well

Interesting thread anyway.........Haven't used circle mill any.

cheers.gif