Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Saved by a backup this am

Transported a file from home to work to continue working on. File >> open, off of my memory stick, file save to save to hard drive(my error), should have been save as. MC locked up trying to save back to the stick.

CTRL ALT DEL, end, file open, file is now bad, cannot open it on hard drive or stick, I am not driving 45 minutes to get a copy of the file.

Hey, lets see if the a backup exists?

TADA, there is a backup of the file and it is in pristine shape.

So it functioned as advertised

smile.gif

Your point is well taken.

I backup my files also and hadn't used them yet but I know where they are in case I get a corrupt file etc...

I didn't back up at one point in time, but once I read the problems others had I thought hey, get with the program and just back em up. This forum helps me alot.

With all of the grumping going on, myself included, I just thought I'd point out that sometimes it does work when you need it to as well.

This morning was one of those cases

With the recent occurances of the backup file getting hosed too, it has to raise a certain level of awareness. I thought I was pretty safe when saving a backup locally (all working files are on a network) and it bit me. frown.gif I'd like to see this become a sure thing, as I'm sure others would too.

Thad

I have heard numerous stories about computers crashing or hard drives dying and it finally happened to me on my work computer. I lost quite a bit of data and it really sucked.

The next day I went out and bought a Maxtor external hard drive (~$200, for my home computer) that backs up the entire system (CAD, email, programs, Windows, etc...) every night. Now if I lost my hard drive I can have the entire computer to the pre-crash state in an hour or so.

If anyone has critical data on their computer I would highly recommend one of these units. It took a few days to get everything up and running after that crash and my archived emails were permanently lost.

Bob

quote:

If anyone has critical data on their computer I would highly recommend one of these units.

I wouldn't count on that maxtor drive for anything important, data-wise. Ive had sooo many maxtor drives fail on me it's not even close to funny. As a matter of fact, the only drives I've ever had fail on me are all Maxtor drives, both internal and external.

I would go return that maxtor and get a decent brand-name drive like WD or Seagate

I was actully thinking about buying a hard drive to match the one in this computer and mirroring it with a raid utility. has anyone tried this and how does it work with mastercam? would that slow the system down alot? and is the backup easily accessable?

With all my programs I save every hour. (Is there a CHook To do this?) But the filenames look like this:

*partname*

*partname_1*

*partname_3*

Then I stick them in folders if it takes more than a day, usually it never has since I only had 2 hours a day to work on MC at school tongue.gif