Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hasp not found & resolution change

Paul Nelson

Hello,

I have a computer that was upgraded to windows xp from windows 98. When executing mill (V8.1 and now v8.1.1) I get the message "warning - HASP not found". In addition, executing mill changes my display properties from 800 X 600 (highest 32 bit color) to 640 X 480 (low 8 bit color). A computer rstart fixes the resolution problem. I have downloaded and executed the xp patch (hinstall.exe) according to Dave's instructions. (-r then -i).

I have read all the posts I could find on the subject and tried everything except playing around with the port in the bios. Right now in the bios, the onboard parallel mode is set to "ECP" whatever that means.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Paul

Have you tried changing your port setting in your BIOS from ECP (Enhanced Capabilities Port) to EPP (Enhanced Parallel Port)? And no, the fact that you're running Pro instead of Home shouldn't make a difference with your problem wink.gif

O/T: Does the computer happen to have a modem? There's a good chance that's what's causing the "PCI Simple Communication Controller" error. Update its drivers, if possible.

Paul,

Do you have anything on the port beside the HASP? Is your resolution still affected or is it OK? What are some of the specs on the rest of your system? Is it a custom built machine or an "off-the-shelf" variety? If the latter, what make and model is it? The HASP drivers seem to have been installed correctly from your description, just may be an issue with the initialization of the port.

Paul,

Download the latest video drivers for that card, do not use the Microsoft supplied driver. Try this link, for current drivers of that card. Nvidia driver download link smile.gif That should fix the resolution issue. As far as the rest of your problems, contact your Mastercam reseller. They may have already gotten some calls on this and can walk you through fixes. smile.gif

I had this problem when I updated to ver.8 My problem was the key. I had a green key not a white key. That was a simple fix. It sounds like you were not updating your version though. So, I also had a problem with one of the pins in the key pushing back and not meeting a connection. Just something to know...Rick

I don't understand the resolution change. It sounds like you have done everything within your power. If you look at all the time you have put into it allready in debug, formatting and re-loading the os doesn't seem that bad. I have always had troubles and software conflicts when "upgrading" from one os to another. If you only own the upgrade cd, re-load 98 and immediately load xp without any adjustments in between. Any way I would drop the MX card in the toilet too if money permits, there are multiple threads to support that at your fingertips.

quote:

If you only own the upgrade cd, re-load 98 and immediately load xp without any adjustments in between.

Actually, you don't need an existing OS on a system with the XP upgrade CD. You can boot off the upgrade CD as well (change the setting in your BIOS to make your CD-ROM drive your primary boot drive). The installation will briefly ask for a previous OS CD for confirmation of your upgrade status. So in short, yes you can do a clean install with an upgrade CD.

quote:

Any way I would drop the MX card in the toilet too if money permits

I can't disagree with that. Who's with JAMMAN and I? biggrin.gif

Sounds like Allan has something there. I tend to think that the wrong drivers are typically the cause of a majority of computer problems.

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any way I would drop the MX card in the toilet too if money permits

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would have to disagree with that. I have a Winfast GeForce2 MX dual head card which uses the same driver and it works beautifully at full 1280 x 1024, full acceleration and True Color (32 bit). Of course, I'm not running XP. A colleague of mine is fond of saying that when Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, it'll be a vacuum cleaner. biggrin.gif Windows 2000 Pro seems to work the best out of all the OS's from them though. Haven't tried XP yet. We're always a little leary of first generation OS's from Microsoft. Just look at ME.

Hello

quote:

the fix was to delete the win9X hasp drivers hasp95.sys?

Interesting. Will try this tonight. I believe the files you are referring to are C:windowssystemhasp95.vxd and hasp95dl.vxd.

I did note however that executing hdd32.exe does in fact overwrite the two above noted files with newer ones.

Yes, I am aware of and read all the threads on the gforce card.

I feel a retreat to W98 coming!

Thank you everyone for your posts.

Paul

quote:

I feel a retreat to W98 coming

If you feel that you must move away from XP, I suggest using Windows 2000 instead of Windows 98. For a high-powered racing car, you wouldn't use an engine lifted from a Chevette, would you? Same goes with your work. Windows 98 is nice for games and writing e-mail to grandma, but I wouldn't trust it with anything that you call "your means of income".

I've been doing Mastercam stuff for over 10 years.

I agree that any Microsoft new OS is too buggy to

jeapordize my time schedule. My system is the

server for all data, the Mastercam Design seat, the portal for all customer email, data and communication, and I review/convert all design data from other sources before files go to CNC.

The OS is Win98 SE and has been the most stable of the 12 computers we have here. Most of the shop systems are NT4. I don't care if some new OS is more wizzbang, stability in an OS is primary. I've never had to reformat/reload anything.