Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How do you handle revisions?

wildcat99

How does everybody handle revisions?

If we create toolpath in MasterCam on a solid model (revision A) and then receive a slightly modified solid model (revision B) from a customer, do we need to re-create all of the toolpath on the new rev. B model? Or is there a way to copy the good, existing toolpath from rev. A to the rev. B Mcam file?

In some cases we may be able to add geometry in MasterCam to mimic a revision, but then we are responsible if this geometry does not create the revision correctly. I would feel better using the customer's new model for the revised area, but not have to re-create the toolpath in the unchanged areas if possible. Thanks for your help.

We are using Mill 8.1.1 (without the solid modeling option).

I unfortunatly am always dealing with revisions

in electrode manufacturing.Take for instance I machine a trode then the next day they change the part,using pro-e i re-extract the trode create the iges,then in mastercam i will delete the old model

leaving any 2d boundrys or stop surfaces i created

on the screen by putting them on a differant level then import the new file making sure it is in the correct location,then i regenerate the tool operations reselecting the new surfaces.It is really easy.I hope this is what you might be refering to.

I think you should be able to post the good .nci from the first file and as long as the new file is on the same zero you can- right click in the operations manager window and there should be an option in the popup window for importing .nci files let me check...............

yes right click in the op window/go to toolpaths and at the bottom of the next popup isImport NCI

hope this helps. smile.gifcool.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I don't do anything unless I get a detailed description of ECO's. One I get that, then I determine what can be used and what cannot. I'll Lock the old unusable toolpaths and turn off the posting as well. I make fairly detailed descriptions of revisions in the Levels Manager and the Prompt for Descriptor feature.

JM2C

wildcat99,

Even with the Solids module licensed on the sim, you would be better off exchanging the old customer's part for the new, similar to what mold100 described. There is no need to import .NCI if the only thing changing is the geometry. You can temporarily place the new geometry in the same file as the old, by putting it on a level that is not being used by anything else. If you use any of the File-Converters, it will ask if you want to "delete the current file". Your answer would be "No". This will keep the file on the screen and you can compare the two parts for the changes. Just delete the old one once you've reselected everything that has changed and regenerated the toolpath.

Yeah I agree. Personaly I'll just take the new file and generate new toolpaths so I know that everything is kosher and then whack them with the extra billing time(Will sometimes make them think twice about making unescisary[yeah know I can't spell] changes).But Wildcat99 had asked if there was a way to copy the good toolpath from the old file to the new. smile.gif

wildcat99,

once the new geometry is on file go into the operations manager right click, scroll down to job setup, then choose import nci- select the old revision file and it's toolpaths/groups, click done and then ok. this will give you all the toolpaths minus the selected geometry, i do it this way and find it very nice to work with and much quicker than having to rewrite all the toolpaths or groups. hope this helps.

take care.

Hi

---Immediately---

I walk out to the floor to review actual condition of project .

In the programming office:::::

This is what I do for the solid model rev "a" to rev "b". I stick with my rev "a" file and bring an already rotated rev "b" into it on layer 200 . Then I check every operation one at a time (marking "b" as a finish each) until the file is updated to the new rev "B". I then delete the obsolete, and proceed to complete the part.

In the office::::::

(1)Identify customer requirements ,in writing

(2)Set customer expectations to those requirements with a written engineering commitment (or "waiver" if the design logic-free).

If and when the customer wants something NEW like the rev "b", I treat it as something new. Take in the new order in and review it before a new commitment of price and delivery (if any)is made from our company.

Then repeat (1) & (2)

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

....and then whack them with the extra billing time...

I wish I could whack Engineering sometimes. It's just that it's against company policy to whack anybody. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Really though, my situation is quite a bit different than a job shop. We make our own products. Everything handed down from "Engineering" comes in as a 2D AutoCAD DWG so the things that would be changing would be easier and just as accurately fixed rather than completely re-done. Though I do import the new DWG and label the level. I keep everything in paper space and just move my WCS (Thanks to V9 this is now a BREEZE) to make sure everything lines up. If I were in a job shop environment I'd completely re-do everything and bill every last second.

Thank you for all the replies. I'm glad to see there are several ways to handle this. We deal with revisions all the time whether they're our own or our customer's.

For this part, what Bob B suggested (the 2nd time)was exactly what I was looking for. First I inserted the RevB model into a new MasterCam file and located it at the same zero as the RevA model. Then went to Operations Manager/Right Click/Job Setup/Import from "RevA" file/Check the "Import Operations with their geometry" box/Highlight all operations/Import/Done. I also did a Delete Duplicate Entities last.

I like this because it brings in the needed geometry with the toolpaths and there is no need to reselect the geometry chains, etc. which is the time consuming step for this part. So far I'm dealing with trimming large, plastic parts which means a lot of chaining lines, arcs, etc.

Bringing in the RevB model on another level, etc...like Mold100, Peter, and Scott suggested leaves the toolpaths, but the geometry/chains must be selected again before regenerating.

Importing the NCI files like Zero suggested seems to be the quick and dirty way to do this. My 9 operations turned into 3 "Merged NCI" operations. Once done, these "merged operations" however, don't appear to be easily tweaked, like changing a tool, feed rate or an entry move e.g.

Thanks again for all your help. BTW I'm one of "those" in Engineering that everyone around here would like to whack.