Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SPEED FEED?

smokey_44

Guest SAIPEM

Spindle-thru coolant plays a big part for spade drilling.

If you don't have it, don't push the tool.

Without knowing the tool manufacturer or the machine model, I'm inclined to err on the safe side.

MATERIAL: Alloy Steel 4140 - Resulfurized (300-375 HB)

SURFACE SPEED: 98 FPM

DRILL MATERIAL: CARBIDE

DRILL DIAMETER: 1.875

LOAD PER FLUTE: 0.0029

NUMBER OF FLUTES: 2

SPINDLE SPEED: 199 RPM

FEEDRATE: 1.1542 IPM

REMOVAL RATE: 1.37963 in³/min

POWER CONSTANT: 0.89

HORSEPOWER: 1.44455

Being from the South and oil filed country, spade drilling used to be a way of life. Everything had at least a 4" dia hole at a minimum of 12" deep. If there is a good grind on the insert it will make almost no noise at all. 200 rpm and .005-.007 feed with through coolant and it will "putter through that 4140 like it was butter.

When the outside edge gets dull ( and it will after several holes) then stand by cause it will do one of three things, break, blow your eardrums out with squeel or get stuck in the hole if it gets too hot. The Most important thing with a spade drill is chip evacuation and higher consentration of coolant. If you are mixing 20 to 1 make it 15 to 1.

A spade drill is a bad*ss piece of machine shop equipment if you take care of them.

Thank you all for your comments , I went ahead and programmed 90 rpm feed .6 ipm , I used a peck drill cycle .1 step down for drilling X 6" deep. It worked VERY well , Load on machine was about 75% and it cut only .005 big on dia (wow) ,I was kinda suprised how close it cut to the size ..only .005 big on dia!!!! NO NOISE at all with these parameters.

Again THANK you to all who helped point me in the right direction.

Dave Ferraro