Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Translations into Iges

Andrew Somrack

I am attempting to translate IGES files from MasterCAM. When i import the file, many surfaces become untrimmed or create large gaps between loined surfaces. Is there a setting somewhere or configuration that I am missing that will allow me to translate all surfaces as iges type 128 (Rational B-spline surface (NURBS))instead of the typical type 144 (Trimmed parametric surface).

I believe my problem comes when I translate those trimmed surfaces and when they are opened, the type 114, become untrimmed.

May other hypothesis is that the tolerance needs to be adjusted when it comes out of MasterCAM. Is there a way to adjust the tolerance on the output iges files?

Do you have any insight on this topic?

Two great sugestions...

I used the surfaces, created a solid (skipped one of your steps) then translated that solid out as and iges. That seems to work.

The one problem that I foresee in this method is that the solid is now one color. One of the joys of keeping it as a surface is that we can color code it for the programmer, i.e. a color for parting line, shut off and product.

We do not have a copy SolidWorks.

Andrew,

Does this happen all the time with CAMtool?

If so maybe they can change their tolerance before an IGES is made as it may not be tight enough. Just a thought.

You may need to just suck it up (sort of speak) on this job and recreate the surfaces you need for machining. If so put the original surfaces on an other level. Then create your new ones at a different color on another level and shade them.

Then visually compare them. The colors should overlapeach other. This way you know your good.

If some surfaces are too complicated you can try untrimming them and then retrim them to the geometry. Or use your solids.

My thought is when the geometry is bad you just need to do what needs to be done even if it means recreating some of it.

This only happen rarely though even with compex models.

This was send to me from the people at CNC Software Inc.

"Andrew,

The iges translation will not change the entity type for you. If the surface is a nurbs surface it will be written as a 128. If it is a parametric surface it will be written as a 114. If it is a trimmed of either type it will be written as a 144. The translation itself has no bearing on that. You can however change the type being created in the configuration: ( photo of where that configuration can occur )

Regards,

Jamie

CNC Software, Inc."

Our programers like CAMTool the help is very helpful. they just switched over very quickly.

This seems to happen all the time with CAMTool and i have tried messing with thier tolerances. and it seems as if 'it is what it is'.

I thought i had fixed the problem by converting my surfaces to solids but then another wrench is thrown in, i was using the only SIM with the solids option. Is there a way to "trick" it into making solids or exporting like one with out buying another solids SIM?