Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D Translate

kinglouie V

it's kickin' my xxxx right now. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's rotating when I know I'm following the prompts. I'm about to try again as I have a small incline along X axis to show for my effort and I need straight.

BTW- it rotated 180 even, so I'm thinking my puter is under the impression it's opposite day.

Bryan,

yeah I was trying to rotate out of one plane

and in to another, but I had indicated the wrong end of one line so it spun it 180 for me in addition to what I wanted. I'm still trying to

perfect this routine this morning.

I'd still like to see the preview axis to get an

idea if I'm going in the right direction.

Hi Lou,

I've got some suggestions to make this process really simple.

Start by creating the plane that you want to move "From" as an actual plane. I use the Planes-Geometry or Planes-Solid face to create this plane. By using the Planes button it makes it really easy to create the plane you need. If there is only a solid, I usually create two lines, either manually with create-line-endpoint, or with create-curve-one edge.

I greatly prefer to use two lines because the first line you pick will be your X positive direction and the second line creates Y positive. Using the "Solid Face" option is hit or miss because sometimes the axis direction lines will not be parallel to the edge you want.

As soon as you select the second line you will get a Select View dialog box with the option to toggle between the different possible views that Mastercam could create. Press the green check box on the one you want to use.

Mastercam will now bring up the New View dialog box. I usually stick with the default name "New View (8)", BUT, I make sure I turn off the check box for "Set new origin" (I'll tell you why in a sec.).

The reason I create the "From" plane first is that it makes the 3D translation a snap.

Using the Planes-Geometry method automatically sets your current construction plane to this newly created Cplane.

Now, select the geometry you want to move between views. Choose the Xform-Translate 3D command and Mastercam will bring up the Tranlate 3D dialog box. In the "Views" area click on the first button in the planes list (Source View).

Mastercam will bring up the View Selection dialog box with the current Cplane already highlighted in the view list. Just press the green check box.

Now Mastercam will ask you for the point to translate from. Select the point on the model that you want to move from( I am assuming in this example that you want to move from "Plane" space back to the system Top plane).

Now Mastercam will prompt you to select the destination plane. Click on top and then press the "OK" button. Now mastercam will prompt you for the "point to translate to".

I press "O" on the keyboard or use the Autocursor override drop down menu and select "Origin". This is the reason that I recommended turning off the "Set new origin" check box. If you have a Cplane active that has a custom origin, you can not reference the System Origin when picking your "To" point.

Lots of our programmers were having trouble with using the Transform 3D option until I showed them this proceedure. Let me know if you have any questions about it. Once you get the hang of it, it makes the process really easy.

HTH,

Colin Gilchrist

The Boeing Company

MR2 and Beta test site