Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Project ,cone ,cylinder, X--section ,sphere,Plane ect...

Kenneth Potter

Hey guys, good morning.

I looked at your file beav and the 2 projected curves and surface files. The surface files look like the way I would create the surfaces too. I've done alot of engravings in the past and I think that your going to get better results in a shorter amount of time projecting a 2d pocket toolpath. I started doing it and it looks like it should work alright. I think you'll get some weird stuff happening in a 3d shallow or something like that. I'll try and give you some useable toolpaths if I get some time. What size cutter(if you are using a cutter) are you planning on using? It looks like a .01 cutter should get pretty much everything. If you try writing the paths yourself or if anybody else tries the project method, remember to have the 2d pocket top of stock at 0 (absolute I think) and the depth you want it at - however deep you want to go and incremental. Then when you Surface/ Finish/ Project remember to check the add depths box to get the reletive depths to the surface that you wanted from the original 2d pocket. You will probably get the best results doing seperate 2d pocket programs for all closed chains and keeping the finish pass turned off in the rough finish parameters (I know that sounds odd but I've gotten my best results this way on other projects and I think that there will be problems with the finish checked on). It's a little bit of work but shouldn't take that long(I can probably do it in about a half an hour or less and will try at lunch). Gotta run. cool.gif

The only problem i see is that he wants it in 4th.

Are you going to make it cut in 4th axis.

Well after going back and reading it again.

I guess he did not say it had to be cute in 4th axis style.

That would be much faster not to and much easer.

Go for it Zero.

[ 02-12-2002, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Good Morning

Potter I am really not all that sure of the year.

I started in V-zero there was no projection of any kind.

It was a 2-d data base .we also had a Gibbs and Mr.

Gibbs would come right to the shop,also Larry Deil

from Surfcam,Our Tom Schuler,and some Cadkey

Guy I don,t remember his name.At that time I needed

all three of theses to make a mold.

Cadkey could draw 3-d

Surfcam could make 3-d code

Mastercam would post the code.

The projection onto an X-section came out in V2.

I still remember the mold I made with it.

Then a lettering package came as a patch.(the same one you have now)

When V3 came along it was the same stuff but with more of the options.

""So Scott are you making buckets these days or just buckets of MONEY!!!!?""

Jay ---With my god given talent to make this stuff

of course I make buckets of money,But the same

wisdom that allowed me to pick this as a trade ,

prevents me from getting any of it.

I would realy like to see a V zero

Does anyone have one?

Alright beav......

I put a file in the Mc8 files folder on the ftp called 9020_cola3D. If you use it, you are going to have to set all your clearances, feed rates, lead ins-outs, etc.(I don't know what your preferances are or the capabilities of your machine) in the 3D pocket programs and regen them and you'll have to set the depths you want to use IN THE 2D POCKET PROGRAMS(before you regen the 3D paths)). Also MAKE SURE THE ADD DEPTHS BOX IS CHECKED on the finish project parameters page to get the correct 3D depths. The programs are all 3-axis so I hope you can use them. If not you can at least dissect my programs to find out exactly what I did. If you need to regen the 2D programs you might have to play around with the type of pocket(constant overlapping spiral, etc.)and the % of stepover to clean out the whole pocket(which it doesn't want to do with the finish pass turned on). And both my computers crashed on some of the project paths(the 'oca' and the 'bottle detail' paths) and I had to change the type of pocket to get it to project correctly. Engraving these artwork pockets is a pain in the butt sometimes. It took me a lot of trial and error in the past to figure this stuff out. Hope that you can use this on the job your doing or at least learn something usefull that you can use to impress the bosses.

Good luck dude. cool.gifsmile.gif

[ 02-12-2002, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Zero ]

Thanks guys for all the work. The toolpath has to be a true 4th axis other wise I will hit the wall of the cup with the head of my grinder which is around 1.2" dia. I already tried doing it the way Zero did it and I don't have enough room. I do these kind of jobs quite often and sometimes projecting the toolpath on the surface works well where the diameter of the cup is bigger and I have plenty of room to go left and right. Sometimes I rotate (index) the cup and and do one pocket at a time. For example Coca-Cola. I would figure out the angles and then rotate the cup for each letter and cut them individually. This takes sometimes two - five days to write a program that has lots of letters. I did some round cups with forty names of a sport team. Projecting the toolpath also doesn't produce accurate geometry. For example, a bottle toolpath projected on a flat surface that is on 20 deg. angle will make the bottle shorter by 22% .

On top of all this , after I'm done I have to provide 3D model of the cup to the customer. This is why I was looking for a way to make a solid model then just make surfaces from it and cut in on the 4th axis.

BerTau. Did you do this in MasterCam? How did you wrap the geo around a surface. Still, how would one get a 3D extruded model out of those splines.

Once again, thanks for doing all the work and trying to help. I will make a surfaces from my geometry by trimming surfaces with curves and will try to do 4th axis toolpath out of it. Now I found out that my post is no good. We changed a control and the angles on the A axis have too many numbers. I still have to find a way to make a solid madel.

[ 02-12-2002, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: beav700 ]

Now beav700, did you look at my file.

This you can do what you want.

Now as for the model, I am pretty sure I now how I can do that to.

But, now we are talking some time.

Sorry but there are so many hours I can work for free.

I can help some but this a project.

Please view my file and see if this works

[ 02-12-2002, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

quote:

Did you do this in MasterCam? Still, how would one get a 3D extruded model out of those splines

No. I use only surfaces, so I don't use solids enough to know how to make a 3D extruded model from them. I'll work on this some more if you want. Otherwise I'm sorry I wasn't more help.

BerTau