Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Project ,cone ,cylinder, X--section ,sphere,Plane ect...

Kenneth Potter

After Searching this forum on this & finding little by way of discussion about Toolpath project Cone ,X-section,Sphere ect____. I for one would like to know what machining statigies(sp?)these toolpaths would be most useful. I've just started to explore more deeply into this section & my curiosity level has reached new heights.

Can some of you good folks out there add some more insight about Project & if possible post some clear examples for all of use to share.

Kenneth Potter

I got a Basketball,,,,, Ummm Mastercam love Jones !

I used to use the "Project" toolpath but since Mastercam has been improving their other toolpaths I havent had the need.

For example, I used it to clean out fillets and other tight corners. First I determine what area of the surface was problematic. Such as an area where the cutter might get buried by another toolpath. Then I would draw contours (lines, arcs andor splines - in 2D) over the area that needed to be cleaned out. Then I would create a simple 2D contour toolpath with no cutter comp. Then create a surface toolpath - Project, and of course selecting the 2d toolpath. Finally I would check it out in backplot or Verify. If something was off, I could adjust the location of the 2D contour, then regenerating the Projected toolpath. Also this toolpath could be adjusted for both roughing and finishing, by setting the "stock to leave" according.

Now I use Pencil, Flowline and Scallop. The Project would give you much greater control over where the endmill would go. But now the newer toolpaths give you a lot of control and can be created much faster.

Oh yeah, I still use Project for engraving logos on to 3D surfaces. First I do a 2D toolpath (pocket or coutour) then use Project to create the final toolpath.

Sorry for my babbling, but you asked. wink.gif

[ 02-09-2002, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Mark H ]

• Like 1

You mean that there is a way to project the toolpath on any surface? I,ve been looking for something like that. I have a company logo that I have to engrave inside a cone ( a plastic cup mold ) and I have one hell of a time doing it. The logo is very busy with multiple depths and lots of small details. I have been trying to do this for two days with nothing but problems. This prototype has to be done by Thursday and my a$$ is on the line again.

I've been jumping between ProE 2001 , Unigraphics 15 and MC + solids trying to create a 3D model so that I can cut it on the 4 axis Hurco.

beav700, put the surface and the engraving you want on it on the FTP I will get you OUT of the water then you can go back later and see what i did so you can do it.

You have to but the 2D engraving above the area you want it projected to.

Being ,it sounds like the bottom to the bowl surface area.

if you want this done email after you have uploaded so i can take few minutes and do it.

[ 02-09-2002, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Thanks Jay.

I will upload the files Monday since I don't have it at home. It's a Coca-Cola logo with a bottle some splashing water and other stuff that I have to engrave inside the cup ( on the wall not on the bottom). There is also other text with an earth ( our planet )engraved on the other side of the cup. I've tried rolling , unrolling , folding, unfolding, projecting , etc, etc.

How are you going to do this?

quote:

How are you going to do this?

Well I am not sure till i see the geo have ten thoughts in my head of how i will do it..

Is this a cavity wall or the core?

Is it an insert or right in to the block.

See there are a few thoughts with out seeing it.

So i will be looking for this geo in the morning.

Lets make YOU look really good. wink.gif

beav700, here is what we did...

A couple of months ago we did a cup with a logo on the side wall (and not the bottom). The approach that we used was to turn the geometry on its side, and then created an electrode using only 3 axis toolpaths. The first toolpaths that we used were the 2D pocket and the a 2D contour. Then we created a surface toolpath - Project using the 2D toolpaths. Then we "vectored" (sideways burn) the electrode in the EDM. But since you have a 4 axis, I'm sure you could totally bypass the EDM process, and directly cut the steel.

I just like to make electrodes for engraving as opposed to cutting the steel. This way if something goes wrong, its much easier to recut the electrode, then to scrap an almost finished cavity or core.

We have four cabinets full of electrodes like that. They use to do all the cups that way, but it was very time consuming. Sometimes we do over 200 molds and have to recut the electrode more than 20 times. With all the setup, it takes two weeks to do 200 inserts (molds). When they hired me, I came to an idea to use small 90 deg. angle grinder and cut the engraving with it on 4 axis Hurco.We have few grinders that will even fit in 1.5" dia. hole. Here are few pics to show you what I'm talking about. The logo is what I have to engrave.

Making electrode is simple by projecting toolpath on the cone in MasterCam. But there is no option to do it on the ID of the cone.

Clip0002.jpgClip0001.jpg

Coca.gif

cadcam,

Just playing at home, popping in and out of other forums... I'll help out if I can, but am limited to only 3 axis frown.gif

beav700,

Yes i agree making the electrodes is an extra step and will add time and money to the job.

Kenneth Potter,

Sorry, it looks like your thread kinda got sidetracked (or is that hijacked). But at least its Mastercam related. rolleyes.gif But seriously, to answer your question, I have used the project cylinder, sphere and cone for engraving - similar to the process I described above.

Oh i see BerTau

After playing some more with those primitive of styles projection tool paths I know see that there closly relaterd to the project rough & project finish tool paths.

I became more curious because its lack of use & dicussion in this forum.

I have use Geometry projection mostly to engrave some cool stuff. I know find that the NCI file option can be a more powerful tool & I,m looking for wicked ways of applying it in a 4TH axis rotary tool paths manner by way of a script/macro automated manner.In essence I,m looking for ways of wrapping a NCI tool path rough around multipul cylindical illregular surfaces.

HEY Cadcam

Yes I,m at home playing biggrin.gif & learning some real cool stuff here.

Kenneth Potter

I got a Masta-cam Jooones ,I got a Masta-cam Jooones , Oh Baby Ooooohooo hoooo cool.gif

[ 02-10-2002, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Kenneth Potter ]

Hi Jay.

I uploaded the file into Unspecified Uploads / 9020_COLA.MC8. Most things are on separate layers so you can turn them on and off. Also each layer explains how deep the engraving is from the main surface. What I'm looking for is a way to wrap this around the surface and create surfaces or solids from that geo. Can't project since that distorts the geometry.

Thanks for help.

WOW. How did you do that. Can it be done in Solids. I.ve tried so many different way and all I get is deformed surfaces or Karnel errors when using boolean, extrude functions.

How would you do the paths. I've tried Xform/Roll then Squash C-hook , create Pockets with the new Geo. and the project it on the surface. Came out somewhat OK but not perfect.

"The topic I,m trying to cover is the Project

toolpaths with the options"

This is the accent way,I will give a simple primitive example for each:::

Projecting a toolpath on a plane

If I had to make bucket and the floor was on 10 degrees.

Projecting a toolpath on a cylinder

if I had to make a bucket and the floor was going to fit a big pipe.

Projecting a toolpath on a sphere

If I was going to make a bucket and the floor had to sit on a ball.

Projecting a toolpath on a cone

If I was going make a bucket and the floor had to sit on a large Styrofoam cup

Projecting a toolpath on a cross-X-section

If I was going to make a bucket and the floor had to sit on some s shape molding.

We used these methods to avoid making wood patterns to trace in the panagraph.

----This is a hot tech tip for the 1989 users-----

I was able to make a 3-d sweep with all the cross sections and save the NCI (program a)

Then make the five cross-section rule nci with the same tool and save that NCI under another name(program B)

Then open a third program C so I could project (A) nci onto (B) nci ,then post and trial by machine(there was no verify)

If you understood the logic of the system it worked really good.

Today this system has the same logic ,but it is doing more for us,and verify is proving it to us

I hope this gives a brief explanation of the HARDWAY

• Like 1

beav700,please go to the FTP and look for the same file name with cancam added to this.

then back plot what i have done just as a start see if this helps you.

This is time consuming that is for sure.

Takes a little but, this is one thought.

As for the surfaces all i did trim them to curve.

as for the path it is a 5axis curve set to 4th after creating curves on the new radial surface.

[ 02-11-2002, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]