Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is there an easier way to use an inserted drill as a bring bar?

DavidSV

I have an inserted drills for my lathes. Some times after plunging the hole with the drill we would like to move over in X and bore with the same tool for roughing. Is there an easy way to do this? Right now I do it by programming each individual pass as a simple drill cycle. Is there an easier way?

Thanks

The problem with that jeff is that you cannot use a drill to do a boring cycle. You can define this as a custom tool, grooving/parting. This allows you to drill with it as well as turn with it. You will get a clearance error during a drill cycle but it works. At some point in the future I'm sure we'll see a tool definition that takes care of this as these types of tools are becoming increasingly popular.

I do this quite often with insert drills and 2 flute end mills. I will program the first plunge using a drill cycle. For shift and bore I use a rough bore cycle creating a new tool and tool number. After posting I can delete just a couple lines of code to splice together the drill routine and the boring routine. Works well for me.