Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2 Lathe bug creating tool holders

FP1

When creating new OD Groove Holder the diagram shown on screen is incorrect. Had to move the values around to get the tool to "draw" correctly. Also if you change to a different insert the new diagram and old diagram show on screen simultaneously. Very confusing. Any one else run into this problem? Is Master Cam aware of it? headscratch.gif

Here is some more detail. This is a fresh install of X2 from CD's from my reseller. The tool described below should be in everyones library. I also tried this at a second company last night with the same results. I also tried it on X/MR2 and this problem does not exist.

Go to Machine Type, Lathe, Default, then Toolpaths, Lathe Tool Manager, then, Library Lathe_Inch.TOOLS, filter only grooving/parting, look for T2727 R.01 w0.25 odgroove-medium, then RMB and click edit tool, goto holder tab.

Now leave the default settings and click "draw tool", the tool appears as a normal RH groove tool on screen. Hit enter to exit the drawing.

Now notice the help drawing in the "Holder Geometry" Box.

Problem #1 the help drawing is showing a LH tool even though it designated a RH tool.

#2 The 'B' dimension is shown as an angle but is actually the OAL of the tool.

#3 The 'C' dimension is shown as a neck width but is actually the neck length.

#4 The 'D' dimesion is shown as a neck length but is actually the neck width.

#5 The 'E' dimension is shown as an OAL tool length but is actually an angle.

#6 The'A' dimension is the shank width, but should be shown on the left side of the drawing instead of the right side.

Try reversing the 'C' and 'D' values and hit 'draw tool' to see what I am talking about. Try creating this groove tool from scratch when there are no values pre-entered. Folowing the diagram prompts will create a totally messed up tool.

Next set of problems is on the 'Inserts' Tab. It shows a single end square insert with a diagram. Change it to a sinle end round insert and watch how it displays both inserts and multiple cluttered dimension lines. Change the insert 5 or 6 times with various inserts and the help diagram gets totally messed up.

I reported this a while ago and this is the response.

Why is the tool holder modify page not right? Note holder Geometry A-D

Thank you for your input. To answer your question X2 got a total interface overhaul to comply with windows themes and standards (among other things). This meant going through EVERY dialog in MC (there are thousands by the way) to make sure they are correct. Evidently we missed a couple.

This has been logged as cnc00025035.

Thanks again!

Eric Hendriks

Quality Control Engineer

CNC Software, Inc