Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Online or off?

GVM

I just purchased a new computer to install X2 and am considering not connecting it to the web. I have two computers here both connected to the web now. Are there any downsides to this other than having to transfer the occasional file from the other computers? Do many of you have a similar setup?

You can have it on your Network without connecting it to the Internet. Then when you get a file from e-mail etc. you put it in a folder your X2 machine has sharing rights to. If you aren't comfortable with that you could use a Thumb drive to transfer files, 1gig is around $30 now so that would cover most any file/prog you would need.

One of the biggest upsides to not being on the Internet is no Virus,spyware,e-mail software running in the background. Scan your files with the other computers then transfer to your stand- alone machine.

I've got a similar setup, one pc on the office network and one on what I call my Matrix Network, which consists of four office pc's, three CNC routers, two beamsaw's and two edgebanders. IMHO its a pain in de xxxx, but it does save you the occasional virus scan and spyware. For the paranoid its the only way to go.