Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

inconel

rwade

Just a little tip,I use to work with inconel and hastalloy,make sure your tool isnt too sharp

this forces it to grab,inconel is pretty gummy but there is a line between too sharp/just right/and dull.whats your speeds and feeds?Your not using a cycle with a dwell at the bottom,are you?Heat and most exotics dont go together to well.Just trying to help if I can. smile.gif

an hidrolic tool holder..for center holding will dril the hole close to exact with the drill straight in..expencive but the difference is quite

woth it to have one around for special jobs.

but like the previous message..heat is the prob with that material..and my exp says a bit abrasive

due to it's toughness..

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

As screwed up as it may sound, here is what I have seen work. 99% Pure Nickel with an Inconel Insert. 18x diameter deep hole. Only way found to drill it was to grind one flute lip(only like .0001 to .0005 inch) so the drill would drill eccentric. This allows the drill to make a hole slightly larger than it's supposed to but since the nickel is so springy it makes the hole just the right size. Also, TiN coated HSS seemed to work the best.

JM2C

Hope that helps.

Why aren't you just drilling with the carbide drill? Maybe you could bore the hole after the smaller drill?

Inconel 718 15 - 20 sfm

.3125 drill 214 rpm for HSS

.302 drill 221 rpm for HSS

I wouldn't push the carbide drill much faster in rpm's maybe 20 - 30 %

These #'s are just rough start points. Hope this helps. Rick

thanks all as diameter isn't the problem

a consistant seat from the drill point is

a small dwell gaulds while no dwell seems to

pull material from floor i've been around

35 sfm & 1.25%$^%$@# ipm

but coated hss sounds good

mondays bite

[ 02-25-2002, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: rwade ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Why aren't you just drilling with the carbide drill?

Carbide drills tend to snap in High Nickel Alloys due to the fact that the holes often shrink while you're still in the hole. Nickel does not like to be cut. It's so "mushy" and aside from that it's extremely abrasive.

Another issue that I don't think has beeen addressed is coolant. CUTTING OIL works best! Not Valcool, Not Hasco, and Not Trim. Try Hangsterfers Cutting Oil, I've had good success with that before.

JM2C

[ 02-26-2002, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]