Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Modeling help

Cuda84

I have mentioned before that there is certian modeling that I have to do in more advanced CAD softwares. Well I thought I would give everyone here a chance to figure out a way to do this modeling in MCX.

This modeling is for a check fixture, so it has to be accurate.

The problem: I have 3D surfaces, tool surfaces, part and runoff. The check fixture needs tolerance bands along the trim edge of the part. For this part they are +- 3MM from the trim edge. They need to be along the surface from the trim edge. Currently the only way to do this accuratly is to creat a tube along the trim edge, the tube radius being the 3MM tolerance, intersect this tube with the part and runoff surfaces. This cannot be done in MC. Anyone have any other ideas.

Note: Curves projected to a plane, offset, then projected back to the surfaces will not work.

I have uploaded a file to the FTP site. (TOLERANCE_BND-HLP_010407.MCX) This file has the tubes that I created in IDEAS software. Don't be concerned with the quality of the tubes, the intersection curves are smothed out latter. The trim curves are taken off the punches, they do not match the edges on the surfaces, not a problem, use the curves.

This is nothing I need to know right away. Don't waste time you don't have on it. Spare time project.

I look forward to hearing new ideas. cool.gif

No, just surfaces which have been translated thru 2 or 3 different softwares. I am not concerned with trimming the surfaces, this can be done in MC if needed. It's creating a curve or edge in the correct location along the surface that I need to be able to do. Yes I do have some MoldPlus.

It has been a while since I have used Moldplus but I remember there being a good trim tool for surfaces.

Do you have solid in MCX. If so could you create a swept solid of the ube along the chain? Only problem might be if a radius is smaller than your 1.5mm radius of your tube. Have you tried making this a sheet solid and doing a boolen remove using the chain of your desired shape then a big circle or rectangle to give you a desired removal shape.

This is the location of the file.

ftp://www.ppcadcam.com/Mastercam_forum/MCX2_Files/

The problem is creating the geometry, not cutting it. The tube in the file is just for reference. To help explain how I do this now. What I have in that file is all I need to finish. I was wondering if there was a way to creat this tube or some other way to get my tolerance bands in MC, without going to another software.

Cuda84;

I had a look at the file you posted to the FTP, I guess cutting it in 3axis is not an option smile.gif

I've toolpathed it as I explained, looks good to me, the surface normals are important in the curve 5ax toolpath, check out the result, only took about 5 minutes.

TOLERANCE_BND-HLP_010407_V1_AB.MCX

Allan

Well my first thought when seeing the toolpaths was. I did not give enough surfaces. There is no way our 5X head is going to get inside that cavity.

It took me a few minuts to realize that I did not have to cut these toolpaths. bonk.gif I am currently running tests to see if this is a good way to go.

Looks great right now though.

cheers.gif

Thanks alot.