Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to define 0 deg facemill?

RMagnusson

I have a 4" 5 insert facemill that I can't seem to define correctly. MC want a taper angle between zero degrees and ninety, but everytime I enter 0 degrees it tells me to check the taper angle. I am using an Ingersoll Aluminator with .410 square inserts.

The answer must be insanely simple, I just can't wrap my brain around it banghead.gif Maybe I've just been at work too long...

This is a bug of sorts in Mastercam. If you need to see the face mill with the holder modeled correctly (I'm assuming that you want the insert teeth to stick slightly outside of the holder body), then define the face mill as a custom tool. Create a new Mastercam part file, draw half of the profile in the upper right quadrant (one half of the cutter), save the file in your C:mcamX2milltools folder.

Now go into your part file, open the tool manager from the toolpaths menu, right click and create a new tool. Select "undefined" and then pick the custom file option.

HTH,

Yes, you can surface with custom tools.

If I'm doing work where holder clearance is an issue I'll make a custom tool that defines the tool, shank and holder.

The gcode is the same and you can see a deminsionally accurate tool and holder in backplot and verify.

quote:

If I'm doing work where holder clearance is an issue I'll make a custom tool that defines the tool, shank and holder.

+1 Gcode.

I've gone as far as modeling the holder and spindle nose into some VERY eek.gif close clearance 5 axis stuff to see if I will not bump things.

Degmc,

It goes back and forth. I've gotten it to work for a short time in V9 (SP1 I think?), and it did work for a time in a version of X. Its stopped working for X2 apparently. I would send in a bug report if I used more face mills (hint, hint), but we don't run them on our parts.

RMagnusson,

How is work going in Mulilteo? I'm up here at Boeing Everett. I hope those Mazaks are treating you well.

Thanks,