Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Computer, or control countour toolpaths

Larry1958

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

I'm sorry to hear about the job thing Tinny (in all seriousness).

As that path in life another ended another opened in Aerospace. I had a good payoff which paid for my house and maybe I would never had got into a well paid programming job if I had stayed ( I was on the shop floor back then )

C'est la vie as they say in Paris.

Well, Thanks for all the input. I had no idea this thread was going so far. Anyway, it was a losing battle. I can't make waves or I will also be looking for another job. The control method is here to stay and I am going to have to re-program myself back 15 years. I did notice another bad thing about control vrs. computer. If I roll cutter around edges (kind of like that to keep cutter on part and de-burr) using control it will not work unless I actually create the corners, not to mention the waste of cutting time due to strait line contouring. Thanks anyway everyone.

Larry1958,

quote:

The control method is here to stay and I am going to have to re-program myself back 15 years.

That's a shame. As what plenty of others here in the USA have said, I prefer Wear comp to anything else. I recall that I didn't use it very often when I was programming and operating in the past with previous occupations. Once I learned Mastercam and found out what Wear was and what I could do with it, there was no looking back. Kind of like using V9 for so long and then learning and using Mcam X. biggrin.gif Different companies do things differently. Everyone has their own preferences.

I remember having a HUGE discussion with one or two students in classes over this issue. I even convinced one programmer, who had been using Control comp for years, to use only Wear from that point on. The operators weren't happy and they had the argument "all our old programs were written with Control. What happens when we have to run any of those again?" The point I made was that with proper notes, there would be no confusion as to what program was written to use either comp style. The programmer agreed with me and made porgrams with Wear.

Months later that programmer left the company and they hired a young kid to replace him. They sent the young guy to class and I tried to convince him to continue using Wear. I found out a couple of weeks later that he went back and programmed everything using Control comp in MC. To this day I think that company is still using Control comp. The operators won that battle. Many others have come in for training from other companies and after hearing what Wear is have decided to switch to it after years of using Control.

It all comes down to preference. Maybe after some tests and time, your operators will come around. Tell them it will mean less work and responsibility for them but they will still be paid the same. wink.gif

J/K about the pay. You can't guarantee that will happen unless you're the one paying them. biggrin.gifsmile.gifcheers.gif