Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Computer, or control countour toolpaths

Larry1958

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Control is much more readable/tweakable on the machine

It is??? Again, if it is not posting correctly THAT"S the problem. I don't want anything tweaked at the machine, if it needs to be changed, I'll change it.

quote:

I never use computer compensation to finish 2D contours:

I don't want my operators thinking, when they think WE all get in trouble, do what you're told.

To the Mazak users. Mazak parameters default to using the tool data page length and actual diameter columns. There is another page called Tool Offset, it defaults to 128 offsets that can be used for lengths or diameters. If you want the control to use the tool offset page values you have to change two or three parameters.(Fusion 640). Look at parameter F93 bit3, F94 bit 7, maybe F92 also. I have my Mazaks set to use the tool data length column for tool lengths and to use the tool offsets page for G41/G42 tool diameter or wear offsets. This lets the operators still use the quick & easy tool measure plunger thru MDI. Anyway read your Mazak parameter manual as I mentioned above. You have lots of choices. If you want to email me I can look and see how I have the parameters set on the machines.

quote:

It is???

Yes, you directly read points from plan...

quote:

Again, if it is not posting correctly THAT'S the problem.

Who said that? no problem with posts. Machining IS NOT as simple as drawing a toolpath, right? Material deformation/vibrations/tool reactions. My shop is only machining technical parts (tight tolerances+thin walls and/or hard materials) and I'm sorry but our operators are qualified and not only there to press cycle-start button... fortunately, if they need to add null passes they do it themselves.

+1000 David and Dell,

We've been fighting this bigtime. Not only with editing/proving, but simply operating the machine.

We need qualified people to run our Ti aerosapce 5 axis stuff.

Thanks, FP1, that info is exacly what I was looking for!

Thanks FPI,

I change those Paramaters first thing when I set up a new Mazak. I'm going to have to stick to control to take advantage of the Mazatrol side and the Renishaw on our vertical. Steve put the fear of god in me about not using wear. He's scary, must be the coffee.

If I have any problems I'll drop you a line.

Thanks again.

Are you doing turbine blades Robert?

In regards to EIA on Mazaks, I use wear when I program with Mastercam. If I am writing a simple EIA program at the machine I program part shape and enter cutter radius on the tool offsets page. I always put notes in the program so the guys know what to put in the offset. However now that I am using Mastercam more often I can't even remeber the last time I wrote code at the machine.

Thanks for the Mazak input guys. As per usuall, this place is the Cat's A$$!

Tim, we do some Ti and Inconel vanes, but on impellers, not turbines.

We do a lot of 5 axis Ti thin wall aerospace and ground military castings that requires a pretty good guy to run.

Am very proud of being able to make stuff to support our troops!! biggrin.gifcheers.gif

When I worked alone in molds I never used control for roughing and used control for finish .

Way to easier for me

Now I am in the middle size shop ,lot`s of

grinded tools and we use control .

It helps me to check my program too ,when I need it

At least I can look on my code in the machine and say what goes wrong .

I hate wear .

If my work experience would be different from actually milling for 13 years ,hand writing and parametric writing ,program by hand editing and etc ,I mayhaps would like wear .

It is much simplier to use ,but not informative

I always just use computer.

Reason is that I have my MC at the machinetool. and I am the programmer/operator.

If I need to change the size of the offset in a wear situation, I will just change the too dia and repost. 90% post in seconds....This way the tool dia is in ops and I don't have to worry about remembering or writing stuff down.

The toolpaths that are 3-d and very long, I will just use brand new cutters and don't have to worry about it.

Regrinding just removes the coating and you have to send them out and have them re coated.

Even though you save a little on the price of the regrind and recoat, it is a PITA and I will just rather stick in a new tool.

The only reasn I can see that one might want to program, using the centerline of the tool, is to have the capability of reverse posting and creating geometry off the NC Code

Kinda funny, of all the "modern" countries

in the world how many are officially non metric?

Sounds almost like a throw back to the cold war.

Lets keep our country in the dark ages.

I must admit, I think and work in the imperial

system, and it does have its advantages, like

divisibility by the first 4 natural numbers, but

in the interests of universality the metric

system IS the standard.

Rainer

No use for Metrics....

Decimal is the same thing as far as the logic is concerned.

Decimal was invented in 1200 AD....

Metrics came around 1791...

Should have went to decimal wieghts rather than 1/2 1/4 ect.....some idiot had to come up with fractional system...and the rest is history...

Murlin teh Decimal rulz!!!

quote:

FYI the imperial system is now based on the

metric standard kept in Paris so it should matter.

Apples and oranges my northern friend.

Imperial and American weights and measures are NOT the same thing. Nor, do we give a rats a$$ about anything kept in Paris biggrin.gif

quote:

Kinda funny, of all the "modern" countries

in the world how many are officially non metric?

The only one that matters!! tongue.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Can I ask for a bit of maturity...

ROFLMAO biggrin.gif I think you've come to the wrong house if you want maturity. What's that saying women have for us headscratch.gif "...boys will be boys..."?

If you're taking these guys seriously (in this instance), apparently you have not come in here much. Sit back, enjoy an pint(after hours of course - don;t want to get our friends across the pond in trouble now)), and take part in the discussion/brow beating, chest thumping, etc...

Personally I enjoy using dead aristocrat's body parts for measurements. biggrin.gif

cheers.gif Tinny

Tinny - We're just pokin fun! cheers.gif

We do a lot of BAE Systems (they DO make our M777 Lightweight Howitzer), and they are all in metric.

It's all just numbers to me. I've done a lot of computer system design and programming, and if you have problems with english/metric, stay the heck away from octal, binary, hex, decimal conversions curse.gifcuckoo.gif Can you count to 0x5A3?

We have fun in here, please join us biggrin.gif

EDIT: oh, I was serious about the Paris thing tho.....