Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mcam Editor communications >> fadal

Hi all,

I have been using a third party software for sending files to all of our CNCs.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it causes a serious lag problem in the PC while we are drip-feeding a program to the CNC.

This weekend I decided to try the Mastercam editor communications to see if the PC lag improved. I cannot figure out how to set the communications. I have copied every common setting from the old software to the Mcam editor communication settings and cannot make it work.

This machine is a Fadal with a CNC 88HS (Fadal) control.

Any ideas about how to stop the lag or how to make the Mastercam editor communications work ?

Matt

I use mastercam for communications. At first I had a problem changing the comm settings when the override the "control definition communication settings" in system configuration was checked. Mastercam would not accept the change in baud rates for my different machines even though the setting screen looked correct. Uncheck the overide and it should work.

Moldmaker74,

This computer does not normally have a hasp installed in it. We use Mastercam Demo to check out toolpaths and I need to be able to communicate without using Mastercam.

We were trying to use the Mastercam Editor to communicate...

I assume Mastercam Demo won't allow communications but haven't tried it yet.

I was really hoping to communicate directly from the editor independent from Mastercam.

Matt:

actually we have a customer that his communications died last week in "X2"... to his fadal we can't get it to work again (V9 works)

Legacy .. doesn't work

Mastercam communications through the editor tells us the "port is not recognized", we checked it .. port should be fine (again V9 works through the same port)... Also, system registry, (X writes which port it sees)

Any help, please advise....

Matt,

We found an issue with the editors ability to communicate effectively with Fanuc-0tt, Fanuc -21i (haas) and Mazak 420 under certain conditions but we have since corrected this with the up coming X2 MR1 release. We have been field testing aggressively in the 'real world' and have been seeing very good results.

FYI we had to wait on an update to a licensed component that we use for RS232 file transfer within the editor communication application.

-------------------------------------------------

Any ideas about how to stop the lag or how to make the Mastercam editor communications work ?

-------------------------------------------------

What baud rate you are using for communicating. I don't think changing editor will make a much difference as it is the baud rate at which controller is accepting the data irrespective of which program is used for communicating.

We are at 19200.

I thought I had this resolved earlier today after updating my 3rd party DNC software. It seemed better at first but not anymore.

During transmission from PC to machine memory the PC is running fine.

During "drip-feed" my CPU is pegged at 100% and the communication software is responsible for 99% of that according to the task manager. I am waiting to hear back from the developer.

The end effect is that en Excel file that normally takes 5 seconds to open ends up taking nearly 30 seconds while drip-feeding a program.