Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Back cutting

Hey all,

I am using a custom defined tool (1" EM relieved to .75", .5" from the bottom...so 1" dia. .5 long, then the rest is gone) to do a bore that is 1.25" dia. at the bottom. The hole I have to go thru to get at it is 1.032 (such as is the relieved part of the tool). I told the path to start at Z0 (the bottom of the hole) and contour ramp (.1" per step) to Z.85 (coming back towards the outside).

It is not displaying that way (or backplotting). It goes from the top (Z4.2) down to what I assume is Z.85.

Any ideas what I have done wrong?

Backboringproblem.jpg

Or use a standard cicle mill cycle and tell it to start in the center. Most times the cycles do not like to work up. I would use surface flowing for this that was I can control my direction. Then just make sure you pikc the start point as the center of the hole.

Problay the best way to know exactly would be old schoool it and draw the toolpath then do a contour with no cutter comp that way you can control everything. If you want the helix then draw it then at you your start and stop draw you in an out to center use 3d for the toolpath opition in contour and be done with it.

HTH

Roger,

Not so sure I follow.

You are saying that I should be making a contour toolpath, start at the closest point to the outside, and tell it to feed towards the hole bottom (Z0)? Without ramping this, how can I accomplish this?

My tool cutting edge is only .5" wide and the area is 1.35" long...

What am I missing?