Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

stock-varify

Rakesh

Hi everybody,

I have customer send casting model and when I use it for a stock as stl file it give the message as "Lw has found the STL file not to be closed and watertight. An approximation will be used as stock". This give the approximate model for stock. I analyse the model as one solid.

Any body have any idea how I can get the exact stock instead of approximate stock model.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

thanks

Rakesh,

We purchased a piece of software called Magics RP that will let you edit and fix problems with STL files. It costs about $10k a seat, but it sure is worth it. We had some files here that were around 50 MB and we reduced them to about 1.5 MB. It really depends on the actual tolerance that you need to hold your model too.

HTH,

I often have this problems with V9.1.

Tips to avoid watertight issue:

- Make STL file from a solid (it must be isolated on a level)

- Play with STL tolerance

- Use STLheal Chook

- Import/draw with solidworks then save into STL with SW (which is much more reliable with STL).

- Create toolpaths, verify with a standard stock (or a fine STL rough file) then save STL from truesolid verify (not that easy sometimes...)