Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Agie edm wire

Threept82

I'm not sure. I'm new here and we have the wire that they don't use much. It's a 2001 so its not old. The operator says it is only for dies and such. That you can't just tell it to cut a straight line. I find that hard to believe. Agie is suppose to be a decent machine, I thought. I think the operator is being .... well you know. I'm just wondering if it is an all around good machine. I want to start using it more but not if it's not worth the time.

Can't cut a straight line ...

Forgive me for being relatively unimformed about the wire EDM process but your operators assertion begs the question: If any NC machine cannot cut a straight line then how can it possibly cut a curve better? cuckoo.gif

Of course it cuts curves "better". Errors curves are much more difficult to measure than errors in lines. To save time and effort curved features are generally inspected to a lower standard. Therefore from our measurements we can conclude that the machine cuts curves better than lines!

(The frequency which I encounter this type of logic makes me not-so-optimistic about the future of American manufacturing.)

If you can afford the time and expense have the guy show you why it "can't cut a straight line". No hand waving. No silly logic. Set it up, cut it, measure it. Get an expert, peferrably a neutral party from outside the shop (a good factory tech?). Have the expert set it up, cut it, measure it. The data will speak for itself.

If the operator is proven wrong and still comes up with a bunch of bogus reasons why he was right I'd skip spending money on sending him to school.