Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

.stl files

I have a set up fixture that has 3 stations on it. I machine a part in Station 1, then flip the part and machine at Station 2, then move to station 3.

I verified the first station and saved the verified stock as a .stl file. Now I open that .stl file and rotate it and translate it to the correct location so that I can use it as a .stl file for the stock at the second location. So after I translate and rotate the part, I go to save in .stl format and get a message about no surfaces or something. The file saves in .stl format, but when I go an open that file, there is nothing there?? Whats going on here? Why cant I move a part around and save it as a .stl file?? any help at all will be great. thanks guys.

I have notice a lot of problems with creating stl for stock after manipulation.

Now what I do is take the solid of the part and the wire frame stock boundary from the 1st station and translate them together to the next station. Then I copy the translated solid and wireframe to a new level and build a new solid for verifying that station. After doing this for all stations I create tiny solids to connect all stock solid, then boolean add them into 1 solid. Then I can verify the whole program.

Kind of time consuming but gives you an accurate verify.

• 3 weeks later...