Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2

JAMES GABEL

I am having the hardest time with getting my computer setup on x2. I am getting ready to go to x2 finally. I am not fully understanding the control definition and the machine definition. I have to machines that can use the same posts so I was just going make a copy of one and rename it. The only difference between the machines is a M code. I took the posts that I have from v9 and ran the run user application on both of them and one is good and the other said it is a currupt file. I want to have it separated. Anyways if anyone could explain it to me that would be great.

Thanks

James,

Here is the scoop on the new way that Mastercam works now.

In V9 all you had was a Post Processor that converted your toolpaths to G code. In X Mastercam added the two new components; machine definition and control definition. They did this for several reasons. Part of the reason they did it was to prepare for Machine Simulation. Machine Simulation was actually released with X2, so you can actually take advantage of it right now! Do a search on machine simulation and camiax and you will find the download.

Machine Definition:

The Machine definition provides the backbone for doing Kinematics and axis combinations. The axis combinations control what machine components interface with each other. Take an example of a multi-tasking machine like Mazak's Integrex. You would have to define the main spindle, the top tool head (5 axis), the lower tool turret, the back working spindle, and the back working tool turret. Mastercam needs to know which tool component (main head-front spindle, or lower turret-main spindle for example) you are programming with. The Machine definition also has options about which tool library you are using for a given machine and general machine parameters (feed rate limits, axis combinations, coolant capabilities, ect.).

Control Definition:

The control definition is basically a graphic user interface to some of the post processor settings. It lets you control about 100 different post functions. You can use it to enable or disable a number of settings like: line numbering, arc output, helix output, coolant settings, canned cycles (on or off), text strings for Misc integers and real numbers, post debugging, and many other functions. More importantly, the Control Definition sets which Post Processor you are using for a given MD/CD combo.

Your first step should be to read the chapters on Machine and Control definition in the Mastercam Reference Guide. You can find this by going to the Help menu in Mastercam. There is about 30 pages explaining both items. You should also read the Mastercam Transition Guide in your Mastercam documentation folder. This will walk you through the process of updating your posts which will automatically generate a Machine Definition and Control Definition for you.

HTH,

I feel like an idiot. I read all the information in the book on how to do it and still nothing. I will have to call matercam dealer and have them come out and do it. I have been doing it the same as the book told me to do it. It still is telling that it is a corrupted file when I open mastercam and pick the machine type. I have spend many hours messing around with this. I want so bad to go to x2 but it just will not work. Sorry for asking for the same thing over and over but I am upset that I can't get it. This is the only thing holding me back from using x2.