Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 Axis Tool Vector Length

HN

Well it helps when back plotting if you are doing a small part to make them smaller to clear things up. I will some time make them bigger when the part is a huge part again for clarity in the backplot. As far as the Nc code goes I have never seen a difference when this is changed myself.

HTH

quote:

I'm using X2 Mr1. How does it make a difference when I change the Tool Vector Length in 5 Axis programmin? I didn't see any difference in .nc file when I change it between .1 to 3.

I think that this value, defined within the 5x OP, (When available) is supposed to define how accurate is your vector, is not? I think that in terms of calculations, a longer vector is better for calculating the projected point of the other extreme of this vector.

I have saw how important that is in some softwares/posts that compute inverse time based also in the upper contact point of the flank. Like CATIA and UG.

The longer is the vector, the longer is the accuracy of the IJK vectors, I guess.

I remember that I have read once in a Mastercam documentation or maybe here in the forum, that a good trick for accurate 5 axis moves is to set your MC to output NCI files with more than 6 decimal digits and to using the tool vector around 25 mm (1"), 'cause the calculations accomplished by the post, particularly concerning angle transformations/conversions, trends to reduce the accuracy of the output gcode when you are working with simultaneous machining and few decimal places in your NCI.

For me, that makes sense, because if you are milling a very accurate surface with a swarf strategie, for instance, a small angular deviation can leave gouges or undesired marks in your part. If your post rounds the values incorrectly because it does not have much decimal places to deal with, this, definetely, is not a CAM fault. Naturally, the machining tolerance defined within the operation is the most crucial factor.

JM2C