Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

IGS files in

billet

Whenever I read an igs file into X MR1 the lines and arcs that are present( when doing a pre-conversion scan) don't show up even if I do an un-blank all entities! If I convert the same file in DesignLt Xmr2 or X2 mr1 I can un-blank the lines and arcs! So,my question is two-fold.Is there a problem in Version "X" with lines and arcs being blanked upon conversion and Is there a toggle in DesignLt XMr2 and X2Mr1 to automatically un-blank those entities on conversion?

Billet,

If you are losing your wireframe somewhere you can always (if you have surfs) create-curve-all edges. The only thing in MC is when you do this it creates 2 curves over some entities. Sometimes MC will create splines over normal geometry banghead.gif

what system are these iges files coming out of?

you could check in the file open box, pick iges from the file types, click on options/masking and make sure there are no geometry types being masked from being brought in...

personally I'd rather my imported files come in with only surfaces/solids and no geometry and build whatever geometry I need with MC. I've had much better luck with MC geometry than geometry created in other systems

[ 06-15-2007, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

To answer all of your questions ,when you use the igs translator in MCam,you have the ability to scan the file to see if there's entities that mastercam will recognize.When I do that,there are lines and arcs that mcam recognizes,but when I go ahead and convert the file into version"x" they aren't even blanked in the file!The files I'm getting are being converted from a system called SDRC.I would also like to read these files mostly in DesignLt and that product does'nt allow you to create surfaces or even create curves on existing surfaces.And,just to be clear ,I've checked the masks and everthing is checked so they should be included!!

Pete,your right,it may have been fixed between versions,but what I wanted to know is,in DesignLt and X2mr1,is there a reason that I have to go through and un-blank them,or is there a setting I missed either in the igs translator or maybe Mcam itself that will "autmatcally un-blank the lines and arcs upon conversion?

billet,

No, there is no such switch.

Basically, we've been making some changes in how curves that are used to trim surfaces are handled. They can be stored and flagged in the IGES file in several different ways as far as dependencies and visibiliy go.

We've run into lots of cases where there are transformations and subfigure definitions in the IGES file which cause the trimming wireframe itself to be out of position with the trimmed surface (again depending on the multitude of ways such things can be defined in IGES). So the difference you're seeing is our attempt to clean it up a bit.