Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT: Mitsubishi AJX high feed tools

cobra95kev

I have never had much luck using Mitsubishi feedmills in the stainless steels we machine 17-4PH 15-5PH and 13-8. Cycle times are long becuase of the shallow depth of cut (.03-.04) and tool life is poor even with their stainless ST inserts. We have had much better luck using .750-1.00 dia Hanita Varimills to rough these materails. I have used them a few times in 4130 heat treated to about 40RC and they have worked better and faster. Even then I still think the Varimills win. Most of time our feedmills are ran on Hermle C40 with a HSK63 spindle with aprx 30HP

If you can vary the depth of cut that should help with the nothchware a little. We use the AJX all the time here for A-2,D-2,

4140 (pht 28-32),and 1018. Limited use in stainless though. We cut some 304ss. We used the VP15TF grade. I called Mits 800-486-2341 because I wasn't sure about using coolant or not. Their tech people had record of using coolant and not using coolant. Both had similar results based on the data they had gathered. We tried without first to avoid thermal cracking. The 304 was a little gummy though and it would leave chips stuck to the piece. Tried with coolant after that with pretty good results. One thing to consider is the 2 year warranty with the Mits.