Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Crash.....not the application.....Machine

High all I've been pointing out (complaining) issues with the Operations Manager in a couple of threads. As the file size has grown the OP Manager seems to become instable regarding its group structure as well as showing problems while using/dragging "Copy/Move Before/After" feature. As stated by a number of users "I found if you don't use that feature and you copy and paste or just recreate the Operation everything works fine." What kind of BS solution is that.

I loaded a folder on the the Forum FTP in "/Mastercam_forum/MCX2_Files/C_Crash", The folder contains a MCX, Screen Shot and a Code file that I captured and saved in the moment right after I found going some where that it wasn't supposed to. Plunging to z-0.875 into hardened 420......I caught it, but of course I'm not impressed. As you take a look at the files the operation in question is #61 and it is the finishing path which is a drag after copy of operation #60. All that was changed in oiperation #61 is the stock in X & Y was set to 0...regen....post...run. The code then instucting the machine to plunge at X0Y0 to Z-0.875 then directly go to the start point of bore 1 as it was supposed to do from the get go originally. Now if that isn't enough I had the present of mind to save code, capture the screen shot and save the MCX file in that state. Here is the kicker Operation #61 being clean an not in need of regeneration, I decided to regenerate and post the code....plunging into solid was gone and the code was as it should be.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

CNC you can get a hold of me at [email protected] or better yet at 604-946-1622.

Keith, this has been discussed a dozen times

If you drag and drop OPs you're going to get bit.

Put the Red Arrow where you want the copied OP

then

Copy

Paste to Red Arrow

Delete the Source Op

Yes, its a pain and its not fully Windows compliant, but it works

and it doesn't crash your machine.

Gcode,

I'm aware that this has been dissussed numerous times....I'm always invoved.

quote:

If you drag and drop OPs you're going to get bit.

So what you are saying is that if I use a feature in Mastercam that has been around since what V7 that I will produce code that will crash the machine. Stop and think about it! The feature worked great in previous to X versions (How long has X been around, not to mention the lengthy development and Beta testing). Should we all go back to version 9 because similar features in X don't seem to be predictable enough.

quote:

Yes, its a pain and its not fully Windows compliant, but it works

and it doesn't crash your machine.

Thats not even V9 or CNC software compliant. If it dosen't work and is not going to work get rid of the option. This has been a long enough standing problem for CNC software to either fix the problem or get rid of the feature.

I agree with you Keith that this is a bug. You should submit this file to QC for testing. The funny thing is, I delete your Op 61, select Op 60, Drag and "copy after", change stock to leave to 0, regen.

The tool plunges at the zero point. Now I select Op 61 again and "regenerate selected operations", the plunge error goes away...

It looks like you have to manually force a regeneration on copied operations...

Very weird and a bug for sure.

HTH,

I realize that not everybody has the same problems, and I have not downloaded your file to check it out (cannot access ftp at work)... but I do just what you are talking about fairly regularly and I have never once had an issue with it..?

What I don't understand is what could be different from the way I do it to the way it is done by the ones that are crashing?

This specific instance is a first of this kind for me as well. There are other OP manager issues that have been brought up and indicate that there are issue with the OP Manager and some of it's feature and till this point has been at times bit unpredictable doing certain things that have raised me eye brows. Never a crash though just more of an unconveinence and a PITA.

quote:

What I don't understand is what could be different from the way I do it to the way it is done by the ones that are crashing?

Remember this time it is not an application crash but a machine crash that shouldn't have happened. Imagine doing a semi-finish helical bore and qualifying the tools Dia and depth and then copying the operation removing the stock allowance, regenerating and post. Ready to flawlessy run ...... not in this instance. First thing it does is rapids to datum and plunges. this is not what the parent tool path did. Regen the problematice toolpath again and it solves itself????? headscratch.gif

I do this type of coping all the time. This is the first problem of this kind. Is there any diffence in the way we do it probably not.