Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating a tool

hearn_girl

Just to let people know why I might be asking silly questions here, my mastercam supplier is not being very helpful. It's been a few weeks that I've been waiting to hear from them, so I'm asking here in case I can find answers quicker. I'm very new at this, have had little training and am being pressured to get things going. Any help would be WELL appreciated!!

My question today is: How do we create a tool for MasterCAM X2? I've drawn up the tool, saved it to my tools folder, but I can't open it in my work, I keep being told that there's "a problem with custom file or data"...any suggestions?

Here's what I have on our Centroid forum in response to this question:

Step 1:

Draw the tool profile to scale size. The profile will be revolved around the central axis, so only one side needs drawn.

Use create> arcs >Circle Center Point for the ball.

Use Create Line Endpoints for the rest of the profile. Remember to use the length and angle on yellow ribbon bar to get precise numbers.

Use Trim/Break to clean up the ball

I like to create a center line just so I know where the central axis is (the dashed line down the center)

Step 2:

Scale the cutter so that the cutter radius (at the ball) is 1.0".

Use Xform > Scale to scale the profile.

Leave it on factor, and take the desired result (1.0") divided by current radius (.25 for my example. 1/.25) = 4

Step 3:

Save file to the default tool directory, normally c:Mcamxmilltools, but this may vary depending on your specific install.

Step 4:

Choose the new profile when setting up your tool profile.

If you get lost, try looking at one of the existing tool profiles by just opening it with Mastercam out of the c:mcamxmilltools directory.

Hi Liz,

I know we spent some time going through all your new tool creations,How draw the Tools and set them up and also your block drill creations and how to define them and then how to use them and then your post fixes. Are there more questions or things we need to cover?????

Please let me know if there is.

regards

Her Mastercam Supplier

Hahaha Welcome to the Forum Hearn_girl. I feel your pain. Karl is....well....very good at what he does. =] Keep in mind that Karl is basically looking after all of Alberta, including myself.

I can admit that being a 1 man (until recently) gig for MC support, makes it tuff to keep the pepople who are in a rush happy. Just get his cell number and keep calling. That's what I do. Right Karl? lol

Anyways if you have any questions this is a great place to ask them or feel free to drop me an email. This place is great for knowledge and sacrasm!