Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Definition

In preparation for our switch to X2 I am trying to learn some things about the machine definition. For Starters I noticed under machine types there is a MILL-4 AXIS VMC MM.MMD and also a MILL-4 AXIS VMC.MMD. Whats the difference? I was also wondering what most users are doing when creating a new machine defintion. Is it better to start from scratch and create one from the ground up or can you copy an existing one, make changes, and rename it.

Thanks,

Justin

quote:

MILL-4 AXIS VMC MM.MMD

This is the metric machine def all of the have mm in the name

quote:

MILL-4 AXIS VMC.MMD

This is the imperial one

BTW, are you upgrading from V9?

If so update your posts for the time being to get started and then if you desire start getting new posts ready to take advantage of the newer stuff.

John, Thad

Thanks for the clarification about the mm. Yes we are upgradeing from V9. We have a few seats of X2 but no one is using them. I'm the only one hear who seems interested in upgrading although the owner seemed pleased when I told him about my interest in using X2. The post we have been using for V9 is mpmaster. I will try to update it next week. Most of our machines are 4-axis vertical and horizontal mills. If I update our custom mpmaster posts and create new machine and control definitions should that be enough to get us making parts with X2.

If I update our custom mpmaster posts and create new machine and control definitions should that be enough to get us making parts with X2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes in most cases .I made a little tweaking in tools section and stock definition.

I was in in 15 minutes

cncjb,

There is a transition guide in your documentation folder of your install. Going over this before you begin transitioning can ONLY make it easier for you.

hth

"For Starters I noticed under machine types there is a MILL-4 AXIS VMC MM.MMD and also a MILL-4 AXIS VMC.MMD. Whats the difference?"

OK, are you sure you want to know??

Under the hood, your MMD file is basically a Mastercam part file. Which means that it is "typed" as inch or metric, whatever you're using when you create it. For the most part, it doesn't matter, and you won't notice which units your MMD was created in...

...EXCEPT -- and bear with me here -- if you go to edit the MMD (Settings, Machine Definition Manager) and you were working in the "other" units. You'll get that dialog box asking if you want to change all your units. This is the same message you get when you're working in inch units and load a metric part -- when you go to edit the machine def, Mastercam thinks you're loading a metric part. Your real part in your MCX file is fine -- Mastercam switches back to the right units when you exit the machine def mgr -- but we just wanted to spare you from having to learn what I just typed. So you get two sets of machine defs -- people who mostly work in inches will use the inch ones, people who mostly work in metric will use the metric ones, and when you edit your MMD you won't get unnecessary confusing messages.

The one important thing to remember is that you can program EITHER type of part with EITHER type of machine definition. If you select an inch machine def, change to metric config file, and program a metric part, Mastercam is totally cool with that, you don't have to switch to the metric machine def or do anything else.

HTH,

Robert