Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill or Router

machtek

Hi all, as some of you know, I am a long time mill-lathe guy and now have a router (thermwood 45) in my shop. My question is, should I stay with Mill or purchaser router. I think after reading some posts about router that it has some nesting options that mill may not. I had hoped to get some insight on the two from someone who has some real experience.

Thanks in advance

Dennis

I have used both Mill & Router and depending on the types of applications you are doing Mill will be just fine. If you need to nest and you do stay with Mill and want to add the nesting option it can get a little pricey. I asked our retailer about it a few months back but I can't remember the price but I am thinking it was in the $2500 range(I could be way off though). We have 5 seats of Mill and 3 seats of router here, the 3 seats were converted from Mill due to some functionality for using right angle aggregates that was thought to be exclusive to Router and I later learned that it was not.

Block drill is a bank of preset sized drills usually in an L shape on 32mm center fron each other that are dropped down as needed for drilling specified holes. They are used for doing shelf pin holes in end panels for adjustable shelves that are 32mm apart usually. By using the block drill it looks at the holes and figures out which drills to drop to process the drilling of the shelf pin holes for the fastest cycle time. In a 11 hole line it will bore 5 at a time twice, then lift 4 of the 5 and only drill the last 1.