Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ultimate System

machtek

On page 1 and 2 of benchmark thread, most of the best times seem to be Xenons. PC's take longer to be replaced now than they use to. If MC goes multi threaded in X3 you'll feel silly having just bought a single or dual core. My C2D CPU cost $175 and new quad core about $265 so why not? Running the benchmark is one thing, actual use where you have multiple instances of MC open plus AV, email, IM, any other thing we do with a PC, quad core makes more sense.

As for the OS, Dell & HP and others put loads of crapware on thier systems. Sometimes you can't use the component mfg. drivers (Nvidia for instance) and are stuck with whatever HP or Dell wants to release.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok The boss and me bit the bullet (the bosses wallet, my credibility).

Dell prec. 690

Quad Xeon @ 2.33G

Quadro FX4600

4G ram

2 15,000 80 gig mirrored HDs

Two 20" hi def wide screens

and a bag-o-chips

Seems to rock with the couple of files I have tried on it. IT hasn't put it on the domain yet so I havn't put it to work as of yet. I'm still recovering from the back pain of toting the cpu to my office. (I know grammers are always out of shape with the exception of Jonny bravo who is also in hiding from this subject).

Any help configuring the box will be appreciated, as well as any benchmark databases anyone has they want to try lets get r done.

So far I can only get the processor screens (4 each) to go to 25%. The ram only goes to about 690 mb. The solids manipulate lots faster but the verify isn't one bit faster.

I'm not fully sold yet, sure wish CNC had weighed in on this important purchase. Maybe they will come out of hiding to help me utilize this monster. All it does is run Mcam (ok maybe a mail app and the internet occasionally. I still havn't found the memory allocation page like v9 had.

Dennis

We've got 2 of these coming in next week

Dell Precision 690 Mini-Tower Dual Core Xeon Proc 5160 3.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache 1333MHz

4GB, DDR2 ECC SDRAM Memory 667MHz, 4X1GB, Dell Precision 490/690, Factory Install

nVidia,Quadro FX 3450,256MB dual VGA or DVI, Graphics CardDell Precision X90

160GB Serial ATA, 10K RPM HardDrive with 16MB DataBurst Cache

OS is Win XP Pro

Not the ultimate system by any measure, but

way better than what we're runnng now