Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas experts?

Larry1958

Matt, what's wrong with your Toy?

I don't know a lot of people that have had bad ones.

Usually accurate, bulletproof, and strong.

Ours (FH100 trunnion 5ax)is deadly accurate, and strong as a mule. Biggest limitation is the Y- travel and RPM - 4,000.

• 1 month later...

I own two Haas'

Mini an dan SL10. The Mini just p!sses me off cause I can't say nuttin bad about it. Just keeps on makin me money. The lathe though is a POS. Will not hold .0002 without fussing over each and every part. So I bought a Daewoo. Cured that issue.

The machine itself I can't really complain about except fro the accuracy issues I have with this lathe. The service however is abismal. Selway. Need I say more?

I'm growing pretty fast and have been thinking about a Horizontal. I've always liked Matsuura's but they are sold and serviced by Selway so that is just not going to happen. I'll buy a Mori or something like that.

I WILL say though that I had a job in here a bit ago where I was taking 8" long slugs of2 1/2" prehard 4340 and turning to 2 1/4" and poking a 1 1/4" hole through it with a spade drill. By th etime I was done though the servo's were getting a little more noisy....but they appear fine now. Machine was running at 170% while in the cut. But it's just a wimpy little thing...

We have a haas MDC500 here (mini pallet changer vertical) and let me tell you that thing hauls! I have worked on plenty of haas in the past (SL30, SL40, VF5/50, VF6/50, TM1 & this one) and likely this is the machine that is being pushed as far as I have seen.

They bought this thing brand new, and they are cheap ($$ wise). It has put 3 of our gang drills out of business and the only reason it didn't put the other 3 out of business is because of size limiations (we are waiting on a new 'drill mill' to do that). When the insert drills hit the part on this thing it's like a thing of beauty. We do mostly 4130, occasionaly stainless and have even gone as far as drilling 1.375" holes in solid inconel (all be it the machine can take it, you go thru inserts like crazy!).

Realizing that the machine was cheap they decided to see what it can do, when it's drilling it's usually running around 110% and humming away just fine. No spindle issues yet (over a year and a half now I hear) and it taps 5/8" NC with ease (never had a call for bigger on that machine yet.

We have even done some high speed work on it...although it had trouble keeping up cause I don't think we have the high speed look ahead (anyone know the setting I can check this out?)... 284" / m and it was taking it with no real issue. =]

Haas do have their place, and this little one is run alot harder then alot of Cat50 mills I have seen. :S

I prefer Haas over a multitude of brands. Only thing I don't like and has hapen to me with different machines at different shops when I do heavy roughing for long periods of time the holder gets stocked in the spindle so I have to tap the holder while pushing the release tool button.

Besides that I do not have more complains and If I start a shop I will buy a Haas.

3 mini's, 1 vf3, 1 vf4

We have the same problem with tools sticking. It's because the coolant serves as the spindle chiller, it can make running roughing tools dry a bit problematic. But my guys love the control, and excepting tool carousel issues they are very dependable. The vf3 is 12 years old now, the table is a bit sway backed now but it is a work horse, 2 shifts, any material, good parts, nok wood.